• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Stamp on multiple tonguing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mconley1986
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't talked about in his book, so I was wondering if any former Stamp students could fill us in on what his approach was to multiple tonguing.
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the approach, but Bert Truax, a former student of Stamp, showed me a great exercise to bring the K syllable forward. Slowly alternate TAh KAh (Du Gu) playing the Tah(du) as softly as possible and hammering the Kah(Gu) syllable at fortissimo. If I'm struggling with clarity, doing this exercise clears it up fast.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mcstock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the complete directions to the drill Matt is describing:

Here is a drill that can develop your multiple tounging very quickly. It originated with Joseph Alessi, Sr. and can be applied to any exercise, etude, excerpt, or solo.

1. With the metronome, play the line at a comfortably fast single tounge.
2. Play the line again, one note to the beat. (For example, 16th note equals 92). Alternate, soft on the "ta" and loud on the "ka." It is important that the airstream remain steady and the notes connected. (taKAtaKA not ta KA ta KA.)
3. Playing the notes at an equal volume begin to increase the tempo until you have surpassed your original single tounge tempo.

One big advantage to this approach is that the gap between single and multiple tounging is automatically elminated. One caution, this drill can be very tiring the first few times, use common sense and know when to stop.

Best wishes,

The Other Matt who studied with Bert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: