• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Buzzing Book help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thegambler

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working with the Buzzing Book for several weeks with great success.

The only problem (so far) is with number two. When I get into the lowest range: G, F#, F...I can't seem to get everything to work right.

The sound is very small, when I try to crescendo, it breaks apart.

Should I crescendo anyway? Or only play as loud as sounds good? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
1B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about Jim Thompson's book? As far as Stamp is concerned, I too had problems in the beginning when moving toward the pedal register. The goal is to keep the same embouchure. I would be patient. The big sound will come. Think of the low register the same as the upper, i.e. the high notes aren't loud when you are first learning to play up there, but over time they grow. Also, think of moving ( your embouchure) as little as possible when working into the lower register. It sounds like you may be pulling the mp off the chops.
Good luck,
1B
CGUM

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use buzzing basics and it is a big part of my daily routine and I think it has helped me to improve tremendously.

The text in the BIM edition actually answers your question. So as my teacher would say make sure you read the text and continue to read it as you work through the excersises. As the text will say don't try to rush through these. these new habits need to take and that needs time. Patience and perserverence is the real key to these, and any "method".

But if you are having trouble with 2 there is the supplemental material in the back of the book that is good to add to the routine.

good luck,
CG
BStrad43
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: Buzzing Basics Reply with quote

I have been doing buzzing basic for about nine months now and love it. What has helped me is to first get rid of the BURP. Hold the mouthpiece as James Thompson shows somewhere in the middle of the book. Then spend about 6 weeks on the first four exercises and gradually add the other exercises. When the low notes do not respond, I take the mouthpiece off the face and rewind the CD to the phrase before. Example, I have a hard time playing low G, I would rewind to the A-flat and start with A-flat and then keep going. Some days the Low G, F#, F work and others it does not. Just take your time. Plus, how are you breathing? James mentions in the book to breath through the nose.

Good luck

Kevin
johnski25
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I did BB with Thompson for four years during my undergrad. Number 2 is a great one but it does take time to do it correctly. For now, keep the cresendo very slight and only push it louder when you have the control to do so. It might take awhile to achieve this on the lower notes. Just continue, everyone moves at a different pace with these.

JOhn Fraser
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: