• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Moderator needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to the abrupt resignation of our previous moderator in this forum, we are presently searching for a replacement.

We would love to find a professional or highly-qualified student who has at least several years of study and is well-versed in the pedagogical approach developed by Arnold Jacobs, Vincent Cichowicz et al and is willing to spend a regular amount of time on the board contributing and steering the discussions.

I feel that this is an extremely important forum to continue on this web site. If you meet the criteria and have a bit of time to get involved, please consider this position.

Also, if you know someone who is not presently active on this site but might be interested in becoming involved, consider mentioning it to them!

We are very fortunate to have onboard moderators such as Charles Raymond (Tampa, Florida), Pat Harbison (Bloomington, Indiana), Lee Adams (Atlanta, Georgia), and John Mohan (Berlin, Germany) who are contributing to the forums presently, and we'd like to say thanks once again for helping out.

Please contact me at editor@trumpetherald.com if you're interested or know someone who may be.

Best wishes to everyone. Play well!
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While not qualified to be a moderator (take from a Jacob's student, read some books, that's about as close as I get!), would it be possible to:

(1) Restore the previous posts (e.g., from archives or backups); and,

(2) Allow this forum to continue unmoderated until a suitable replacement is found?

Curious -- hopeful, even - Don
bj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-04-16 08:51, trumpetherald wrote:
We are very fortunate to have onboard moderators such as Charles Raymond (Tampa, Florida), Pat Harbison (Bloomington, Indiana), Lee Adams (Atlanta, Georgia), and John Mohan (Berlin, Germany) who are contributing to the forums presently, and we'd like to say thanks once again for helping out.
Best wishes to everyone. Play well!

Hello
I'd like to echo that (and I hate me too posts!!). Well done fellas.
yours
Brian Jones
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-04-16 12:23, Don Herman wrote:
While not qualified to be a moderator (take from a Jacob's student, read some books, that's about as close as I get!), would it be possible to:

(1) Restore the previous posts (e.g., from archives or backups); and,

(2) Allow this forum to continue unmoderated until a suitable replacement is found?

Curious -- hopeful, even - Don

I'm exploring the possibility of restoring some of the old posts from a database backup.

Certainly the forum will continue 'as-is' for the time being...

Editor
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why hunt for a moderator, when the obvious choice is staring you right in the face?

If he is willing, Don Herman is the perfect choice.

1. He is AT LEAST as qualified as the last guy.

2. He is one of the most affable and respected posters on this forum (and TPIN as well). He posts a bunch, and yet his posts have unusual depth.

3. He has a track record for fairness, and is not likely to take a meat cleaver to the data on this forum and leave in a snit.

I realize that Don would be the first one to make a wisecrack about some of my comments, but I ask him to instead seriously consider taking the position.

What does everybody think? How about it Don?

Jeff
http://www.trumpetteacher.net
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll Second That Emotion!!
Shewhorn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don certainly has my vote!
brnt99

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don's the man.
dales
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Draft Don movement is gaining momentum!
DCBASS
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy that sound like trouble! hehehe
Love ya Don....
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cozy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read this earlier today, but didn't have time to post my first thought for a moderator...Come back to find that Don is the man. Yes!

Cozy
http://www.cozychops.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must agree that Don Herman would be a WONDERFUL moderator for this forum!

I've always really enjoyed reading everything that Don has posted. Most of his comments I've agreed with and, where we differ, I've always liked and respected what he has to say on embouchure from the Chicago angle.

Don is a true gentleman, very articulate and considerate of others. He can take the Chicago forum to the next level with his popularity on the forum.

How about it Mr. Don?

Warmest regards,

Tom Turner
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Cozy, who's your first thought?

Really, people, I was shocked to read all these posts. No wisecracks, Jeff -- I was too stunned, nor could I get through the "sort" function fast enough. I have thought about it some, after seeing what all you poor misguided people with a grossly overinflated view of my competence have written. Overwhelming, that...

I think that, while I really appreciate the sentiment (and then some!), I am not qualified to moderate this forum. Check out the SysAdmin's requirements again -- I ain't even close. Nor am I sure I'd have the time to do a good job (I'd have to check with the other moderators and such).

The other moderators are accomplished players and teachers; I don't fit those categories. (I'm a CP, an engineer by day, and am the best trumpet in our Praise Team only 'cuz there ain't another!) I really don't feel I could meet the level of the other moderators. And, with all the TH members, there have to be some much better versed in The Chicago School than I. As I said, two years of lessons with a Jacobs student (ongoing, for as long as he'll have me!) and reading some books, plus following some threads around the Net, does not a knowledgeable Moderator make. I'd rather keep your respect and friendship by not trying to be something I'm not qualified for.

Now, I do feel a moderator is needed. I personally feel the Chicago School Forum is vital, but is very difficult to properly present, particularly in this medium. There's so much more than "blow harder" and "play by sound". Beneath these concepts is a wealth of knowledge which uses these seemingly simple principles to guide the student -- both mentally and physically -- towards achieving the sound in their head. A competent guide is really needed, IMHO. I'm not sure "the Harvard School of Moderators" (akin to the Harvard School of Management, which says a good manager can manage anything, regardless of the depth of the manager's knowledge of the details) would work.

I suspect the TH SysAdmin agrees, and is waiting for a more competent volunteer, if he isn't already speaking with one. It may be that, while there are much more accomplished folk who could moderate, they may not (for a variety of reasons), be willing to do so. In that case, I would consider it, but I'd have to look hard at what's required.

This ain't a democracy, but it's heart-warming and quite overwhelming to think that I could run for office as a write-in!

Thank you all, take care, and good night. - Don
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If (and only if) Don has actually declined...

I suspect that Dave Bacon would do an excellent job. His study with Keith Johnson (one of the best Chicago diaspora teachers) and his other experience and knowledge would make him a very qualified moderator.
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat got his post in before me. This is no reflection on Dave Bacon.

Don,

One of your strongest points is your sense of inclusiveness. I think that more people would be likely to visit this forum and consider the merits of Song and Wind if you were the moderator. To me this is more important than being "qualified" to give a particular answer. Look at the other forums. More often than not, somebody other than the moderator answers the question anyway. Everybody wants to chip in, which means that you will get lots of support.

You will also be motivated to learn more about your subject, which will benefit everybody. Teaching a subject (in your case moderating) is often the best way to learn.

And, you have more natural curiosity than a cat!

It's Todd's site. If he wants you in, you're in.

You still have my vote.

Jeff
Batman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think citizen Don would be a fine choice, I wouldn't "bat" an eye if he decided to step up and fill the position.
Yoinks
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, I would have to agree, that, not knowing a whole lot about Dave Bacon, I would still have to say that I know enough from who he studied with (Keith) and also from the way he treats people on the forum, and from some of his posts that demonstrate more than a good understanding of this way of playing, that he would be a good choice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: