• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Sax Book for Stamp Studies???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Sax Book for Stamp Studies??? Reply with quote

Hello Stamp fans. I have several pages of studies that were copied out of a saxophone book. Stamp used these as lyrical range studies and had them numbered progressively from 1-12. His numbers are in a different order than the way the studies were actually numbered by the composer/publisher.

For instance the study labled "Preparatory no. 10" is numbered 1 by Stamp. This puts them in a progressively higher range.

My question is does anyone else have these and know the title of the book from which they are taken? The pages I have have no composer or title listed and the only publisher designation is at the bottom of one of the pages it reads: "Copyright 1955 by Pan-Am Publications P.O. Box 3031 Hollywood 28, Calif."

I have shown the book to several Sax players hoping they would recognize it but have not had any luck yet. Anyone else out there familiar with these?? Are they still in print somewhere? I would like to be using them (legally!) with some of my students. Thanks!

Scott A.
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, doesn't ring a bell, but maybe if I saw them I would recognize them. Or maybe not!

Let me know if you find out, though. Would love to know more.

TD
Mzony
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Todd,
I think I remember (I actually have tapes somewhere) Stevens talking about those etudes at Lake Placid. As I recall they were French TRUMPET etudes and Mathez basically asked Stevens to write three etudes just like those.
I will find the tapes from that class and see what I can dig up.

Mike
Da Jazzman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think these are the studies you are looking for. Jay Lichtmann has them posted on his site.

http://uhaweb.hartford.edu/lichtmann/files/studies/upperregister.pdf

When I studied with Stamp he gave me copies of those 12 etudes and they are identical to the ones found on this PDF. I think the numbering is also how Stamp did them. Lichtmann must have studied with Stamp also, but it does not say anything about it in his bio.

Da Jazzman
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! Those are the same as my very old sheets. I guess there are no copyright concerns? I had not seen the final 2 pages before but look forward to using them. Thanks for sharing these!

Scott
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: