• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Buzzing Problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Buzzing Problem Reply with quote

I've recently started working on buzzing without the mouthpiece. My teacher tells me that I'm to buzz whole notes starting on concert G below the staff and work up to second line G. Problem is that when I get to E I can feel my top teeth touching my lower lip right where the upper lip vibrates against it. This is completely messing up the buzz making it nearly impossible to get any higher.

Does this indicate a problem with my setup? If so, any ideas how to resolve it?
Mzony
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would start learning lip buzzing by starting in a range that is completely comfortable to buzz in. Become as efficent in that register and then stretch your range higher and lower as you see fit.
Also, I have become rather addicted to embochure visulaizers (cut up mouthpieces) rather than buzzing alone...although I can and do do both.
You may want to try one of these toys as a tool to help you learn to lip buzz.

Mike
JBrandt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mike. The visualaizers also helped me focus in my sound and made it easier for me to buzz with my lips alone. Just try to work on getting your set up for lip buzzing the same as when you are playing.

Good luck
Jon
mambopope

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to also agree with Mike and Jon, since we all come from Boyde Hood's studio where he has us use a trumpet visualizer for one of the mouthpiece routines. It really does help to focus your sound if you just relax and just get the AIR TO SOUND process in motion.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After posting this question I found another thread on the same subject. Someone sugested working on jaw position and teeth spacing. With a few days work it's gotten easier to keep the top lip off the bottom teeth while free buzzing. With a little effort I can buzz just slightly higher than I could before only now I get the impression that without the interference of the teeth I can develop this further. In less than a weeks time my playing in the upper range has become noticably easier and more open. I can also get around a step higher.

I've been given lots of good advice about focusing on my sound. That said I think there are time when there's a fundamental flaw in one's approach that a lifetime of listening won't fix. My jaw used to be rigidly held position. When I allowed my jaw to adjust this barrier was diminished and now it really is easier to focus on the sound.

I know a guy at SC whose recently started with Boyde. I'm really impressed with what say he's accomplished in a really short amount of time. Do you think there's any chance I could arrange to get a lesson with him? I'm already with great a teacher from the Stamp school but I'd like to hear his take on things.
swingintrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Charles. I'll be seeing Boyde on Monday (I believe) and I'll ask him what his schedule looks like. Drop me an email.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: