• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Vacchiano Rules

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
james smock

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Vacchiano Rules Reply with quote

Hey everybody,

I'm looking for the "Vacchiano Rules" for orchestra playing. I've found numerous mention of them, but I'm unable to get the rules themselves.

I've checked all over the TH, as well as the internet at large, but have been unable to find them. It's the same story always: I find something promising, only to find upon further investigation that the rules are only mentioned in passing.

Can somebody "in the know" post these, please? Or maybe put me on to a good lead? I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks,

James
TheChef
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thomasstevensmusic.com/quotablesPage.php?17
Hack001
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what are they?
james smock

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly my point! Stevens talks about the rules, he even goes so far as to say they are "well known", but then leaves it at that. In fact, this is the article that raised the question for me.

J
tptplayer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Vacchiano Rules Reply with quote

The rules, in summary, involve the teaching of the fundamentals of (written) traditional western music (ca.19th and 20th centuries). They address such rudimentary issues as rhythmic placement and execution, articulation, meter, phrases, melodic cadences, (incl. internal cadences, cadential extensions,) and so on.

from Mr. Stevens web site

in other words: The Rules
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james smock wrote:
Exactly my point! Stevens talks about the rules, he even goes so far as to say they are "well known", but then leaves it at that. In fact, this is the article that raised the question for me.

J

I've wondered the exact same thing many times.
robert_white
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed Thomas Stevens a couple of years ago after reading the same article. I had studied with two Vacchiano students over the years, so I had some idea of what he was talking about, but I wanted to see for sure.

While I won't reprint his reply, I suppose it's fair to relate that he told me there is really nothing written down anywhere and that "the rules" were above all a means rather than an end for Vacchiano's students' understanding of the essentials of musicianship.

As the article states, though, the "rules" such as they are were derived from the principles of the Paris Conservatoire solfege system. On that topic, there's a lot of other resources available. There's the CD Marcel Tabeteau's Lessons, for instance, and a great new book by David McGill (principal bassoon in the Chicago Symphony) called Sound in Motion. Both are worth exploring.
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEAH HE DOES!!!

.....oh, wait..... I misunderstood the topic

I'm going to read that article now
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James,

I’ve meant to finish my notes from David Krauss’ clinic at the 2004 ITG conference related to this topic for a long time. If you’re expecting a shopping list of the “Vacchiano Rules” I don’t think you’re going to find it. However, through several very specific examples, David Krauss gave the ITG audience a glimpse into several of the very important (subtle nuance) points that will give you a flavor of what this topic is about.

Thanks for giving me the little push that I needed to find my notes and post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: