• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Random thought on Fanfare...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howie J
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Random thought on Fanfare... Reply with quote

I was just thinking of how many times I imported Copland's Fanfare for a Common Man while I was working at MPR classical and realized it's never on many audition/excerpt lists.....and if it is...it's really far down. Is this considered more a "pops" tune?? As simple as the melody is, it is one that always gives me goosebumps when I hear it. Haunting and triumphant all at once.

I imported this piece at least 10 times while I was there and two of my favorites (for both playing AND production value) were a Detroit recording from the early '90's....92 or 93 and a Minnesota recording with Manny. I even heard one version where the opening notes were articulated. That was a bit un-nerving. Sounded uncomfortable.

Here ends the ramble.....you may be seated.

Howie J
Monette B3FS7, B2L, C2S3 cut for Flex Couplers, AP4LD
tubbs831
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Fanfare Reply with quote

It is a very difficult piece to perform very well, and in my opinion it would be a decent audition piece. I think the most difficult thing about it is making that opening sound like one big trumpet. I played third in it at school this past December. We did okay job with it, certainly wasn't great, but it was a nice challenge.

Adam
abh535s
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not 100% sure about this, but here's my take based on experience playing plenty of Copland and plenty of excerpts..

Most of the test excerpts we play, in my opinion, are either quite difficult, exposed enough to make it worth testing, or-- as is often the case-- both. Mahler 5, Ballerina's Dance, Pines off-stage, etc... all of these "standard" excerpts are soloistic/quite exposed for the trumpet and require a degree of musical maturity and experience. They are also popular and oft-played pieces.

Not to say that the test excerpts represent the ONLY difficult or exposed spots in the repertoire, but all of them hit a magic combination of buttons in terms of difficulty and exposure. Fanfare for the Common Man, while a neat piece, does not strike me as particularly telling of the average well-trained orchestral trumpeter. Doesn't go particularly high, long, require an unusual amount of control, specific articulation style (most of it is slurred), endurance, nor does it have many out-of-tune notes, in an unfamiliar key, etc. It is certainly not even the most difficult from Copland. More commonly-called excerpts might be from Outdoor Overture or Lincoln Portrait, and would probably prove more telling when hearing many trumpeters play the same music over and over again, that they've all been working on for countless years.
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd argue that it makes a nice audition piece, and certainly would show a lot about you as a musician. Just the first three notes would show intonation, control over wide interval lip-slurs, rhythmic accuracy, musical sense (often the player would accent the third note as that is the highest one at the end of slurred passage, yet musically the emphasis should be on the first note), and of course the quality of your sound. By the time you slur down to the concert Bb, something that isn't quite together or in tune on many famous recordings, those listening would certainly know if they want you as a colleague.

Frankly almost any piece with something to play for the trumpet makes a good audition piece - even a simple C major scale would tell the listeners most of what they need to know. Why isn't the Fanfare used for auditions? I don't know - usually they put one or two "American" pieces on the list with big trumpet solos - American in Paris, Concerto in F, etc, and Fanfare isn't needed.

JU
robert_white
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Fanfare" section of Copland 3 was used for sight reading in the finals of the National Symphony's 2nd trumpet audition a few years ago.

(Needless to say, a decision was rendered shortly thereafter! )
trombapaul2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has nothing to do with the original comment but I would love to hear
the opening performed by a solo trumpet with the rest of the section
entering after the 2nd percussion cycle. I almost had the Music Director
talked into trying it this way a couple of months ago...he changed his mind
right before we went on stage!

Paul

"NEVER look at the trombones...it only encourages them" (R. Strauss)

"What the hell does sound have to do with music?" (Charles Ives)
SandyJack2008
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son just performed this piece with the Kinhaven Brass Choir. He is attending summer camp at Kinhaven Music School in Vermont. Beautiful country up there and excellent teachers! They had five days to learn and rehearse this piece. Here it is; conducted by Dr. Robert Blaine: My son (age 11) is 2nd trumpet from the left.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNrP6XAqaKE

http://www.kinhaven.org

Last edited by SandyJack2008 on Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:46 am; edited 2 times in total
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trombapaul2 wrote:
I would love to hear the opening performed by a solo trumpet with the rest of the section entering after the 2nd percussion cycle.

I saw something a little like this - the Simon Bolivar Youth Orchestra of Venezuela's Brass Ensemble started with just a couple of trumpets and only by the middle did all of them play (and there are MANY of them). It was certainly very effective, it gave an incredible sense of power to the middle and end sections.
What really struck me was that their section had a mixture of Bb and C trumpets, as well as a piston and rotary mix - yet the sound was so balanced and pure - simply incredible.
Howie J
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, hate to beat the horse anymore....but as a amateur organist myself I found this interesting. I'll still take the real thing....but not bad if you can live without slurs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mM46lVVarg&feature=related

Howie J
Monette B3FS7, B2L, C2S3 cut for Flex Couplers, AP4LD
Paul Randall

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fanfare as it appears in the 4th mvt of Copland 3 begins in C major, then changes keys a couple times till it's in Bb, eventually ending in D major. The seperately published "Fanfare for the Common Man" starts in Bb and stays there, with the D major ending like the symphony. The opening is slurred, but in the C major 3rd symphony version the opening is clearing written without slurs. It might even say marcato, I forget. This accounts for why you've heard it played differently on various recordings.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copland 3 was a lot of fun! Wish the little guy with the stick would put that back on the cycle, it's been about 10 years since we played it and then was with a guest conductor. Maybe that's the deal... Love that opening to mvt 2.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: