• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Good range, but all squeek!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B4player
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can squeal really high with consistancy. I can even squeal and squeak my way up to a double High C pretty easily. Now, no one wants to here these notes, LOL. Heck they hurt me. They are the most unmussical things that come out of my horn. But I feel that since I have a piece of them I should have the chop streangth to get them sounding like Maynard (or maybe just less painful). So could it be a throat or breathing thing?

By the way, I am a high school senior with a usable rage of an E above high C. If I am fresh I can hit a G above high C but not ever in a performance or even rehersal setting. everything elase squeaks. I just thought this info could be helpful. You know to let you know were the skeaking starts.

thanks

mario

[ This Message was edited by: B4player on 2002-05-09 19:17 ]
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-10-01 18:42 ]
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worry about the "it hurts me" statement. If they don't speak (and I have the same problem, BTW) it's likely because you're using too much mouthpiece pressure to squeak them out and/or your chops aren't relaxed enough in the mpc. Try pulling away from the horn a bit and making the air do the trick as much as possible. As David said, soft playing helps learn a closed aperture setting (whatever the heck that means), and Caruso exercises will help build range while avoiding multiple embouchures.

HTH, FWIW, YMMV, blah-blah-blah - Don
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you mean it hurts your chops or your ears?
isn't air the difference between squeals and a fat sound? maybe that is the difference of success with the high end at home and not when it counts. could be you are blowing better when you are more relaxed. sometimes you have to remind yourself to breathe in a performance situation if you are uptight at all. maybe you are trying too hard and working agaisnt yourself.

disclaimer: i shouldn't be posting on a high note thread. double c's are not in my rep. it makes a difference in my top range tho

[ This Message was edited by: pair of kings on 2002-05-10 01:04 ]
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitter or Player? ..which might you be?

IMHO there are.... 8 types of range players...

1. has'nt really got any range at all .... can hit up to high c with varying degrees of consistency etc...etc...

2. has really got ''good control'' etc.. can PLAY brilliantly to high c [and squeeze a few more]

3... can hit up to high g [4 leger lines] with varying degrees of consistency etc...etc...

4.... can PLAY brilliantly to high g [and squeeze a few more]

5... can hit up to DHC with varying degrees of consistency etc...

6....can PLAY brilliantly to DHC [Most Pro lead players of today ] [and squeeze a few more]

7..... can hit beyond DHC with varying degrees of consistency

8..... can PLAY brilliantly beyond DHC....and NEVER SQUEEZE

Lots of players [ # 1 thru 4 ]..... mistake ''hitting'' for ''playing''.

Lots of players...... find getting to # 4..... a real struggle.

Some guys spend ALL their time ''hitting'' never with a thought to ''playing''.

How do you become a # 8 ? ...start at # 2 then / 4 / 6 / 8...Bingo!!! [simple! : ) ]

Here's the biggie....

Most players [ # 1 thru 4 ] who mistake ''hitting'' for ''playing'' are the guys who go around saying....'' how high can you really play?''

...what they really mean is how high can you hit?

Hitting requires air volume ///// Playing requires air speed

....I believe that although we ARE all a tad different, the basic principals of playing the trumpet..........

1. Use only enough mpc. pressure for the register your in.
2. Use enough air for the register your in but support it well with the abs.
3. Have your aperture in sync. with the above two rules.
4. Keep the airflow steady and even for the register your in.

.......ARE the same for EVERYONE.

It's up to the individual to find the correct percentage and cohesion of the above principals plus taking and adding any known personal physiological variables into the final equation.

PLAY MIDDLE RANGE TUNES MUSICALLY...THEN UP A HALF STEP!

It's called SMART practice....not just time crunching!

Yours Roddy o-iii<O

[ This Message was edited by: Roddyo-iii
B4player
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I say It hurts me I mean it hurts my ears. As far as a roddys comment (which I dare not qoute! LOL) I'm a #3.

To adress the pressure issue, I use way too much. I am working on that also. I have al ready hurt my lip a little and have a permanment line.

I am not obessed about high notes, the slight injury just happened. I know that trumpeting is alot more than screaming. But darn its fun!
scion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone told me once to play the lowest octave of what ever note you are trying to reach, then the next octave. Try to remember how that feels then do that on the next octave... It worked for me! I'm only a junior in high school but can get my high C pretty much every time!

"There are two sides to a trumpeter's personality; there is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the swath of destruction that is a trumpeter's fury;
then there's the dark side..."

[ This Message was edited by: scion on 2002-06-13 20:04 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
ByroTrumpet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

If you want to fatten up your sound... try working on playing with the same ease in the upper register that you do with the lower and middle register. Try to keep an EVEN sound throughout your whole range and like you've probably heard a hundred times, try to make each note sound the same, even if it is at the top of your register. If you think that way, you can consciously try to make your sound better and not squeel as much. if this makes sense "try to make the high notes at the top of your register not sound like high notes" You have the range. Just Keep your throat and jaw open and push the air thru.

good luck!
Byron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: