• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Scat Singing

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrTrumpet

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-05-15 22:07, PH wrote:

If you like Watrous doing the hum and play thing you'll love trumpeter Matt Shulman's work with this technique. He has developed it to a higher level than any trumpeter I've heard. Only trombonist Albert Mangelsdorff is anywhere near this sophisticated.

Shulman has some examples of his use of the technique on his website-the same one where he is marketing the "Shulman System". <http://www.shulmansystem.com/>

I have not heard Matt Shulman, I will have to check out the site. Albert Mangelsdorff is definitely one of the most sophisticated at this (certainly more than Watrous) as he is able to play one note and hum another such that the overtones and difference tones created by the two notes result in an audible "3rd" tone, thus making a complete chord.

BTW, I heard Arturo Sandoval last night and he graced us with some multiphonics, as well as the usual high chops, 2 octave double-tonguing, pedal tones and virtuoso piano playing and scat singing. He is simultaneously inspiring and depressing to a trumpet player (at least this one ).

regards, Mike
Perry dAndrea

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey David-

To answer your question a whole month later, I finally got on the track with the emboucher change, and now it's just about building strength. I like it that way. In emboucher-building, I'd much rather have to work at grabbing something that I can see that's just out of reach but on the same path, than to try to be shooting in the dark with no idea which direction to shoot.

Horns- I GOT the LB Martin Committee you told me about on ebay. The bad news is that I got it for a buddy of mine in GA- couldn't afford it for myself. I still haven't even seen it. The good news is that I know where it IS, and I have first right to refusal should he ever sell it.

I did recently acquire a '69 Connstellation that is now in Dick Akright's capable hands. Even before the much needed work, it played surprisingly nicely with a tone lovelier and fatter than Delta Burke. Lovelier yet was the fact that it was just sold as an old beat-up used Conn, and only close inspection of the pic revealed that it was a Connstellation, so it was DIRT cheap..

pd

http://perrydandrea.com/doc.wav
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-29 17:09 ]
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quad C-

Beware of hidden costs! Every time you get a new one of those colored Martins you'll also need new shoes, handbag, and and you'll probably have to change your nail polish and lipstick colors!

None of the colors work for me. I'm more of an Autumn.

[ This Message was edited by: PH on 2002-06-28 09:33 ]
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-29 17:09 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: