• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Anyone having any good Stamp moments recently?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes me sad that the method that is changing my playing is receiving so little discussion recently. I'm curious if anyone has any recent successes to share! Any insights that help understand the concepts better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, let's see, what specific Stamp stuff have I been doing recently:

I've been using the arpeggio warm-up each morning, either the one with the triads or the one with the added sixths...
Also been playing the Stevens etudes at the end of the book to warm down with - great flexibility check.

But, mostly, I just apply the Stamp concepts to nearly anything I'm doing or working on. That's the beauty of it - once you get the concept from the drills, it's very natural and easy to apply it to anything and smooth it out. Or, as Bert Truax used to say, 'Stamp it Out!'

Anybody else?

TD
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finding the same to hold true for me. I've been doing the Stamp exercises for about two months after I finally got some lessons with Bert Truax. I can tell that the development from the Stamp exercises is starting to carry over to my normal playing. It's a very exciting time. I can tell big improvements in sound, flexibility, tonguing, and all around agility from the relatively short time I've been incorporating the concepts into my practice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jakepainter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do the stamp warmups every day without fail. I feel that they give me a great grounding for the rest of the day.

I like the way they connect the high and low ends of the range together as they progress. I think its a great idea to play down to pedal notes and then back up again as this helps to ensure you are not changing your mouth position to a completely different setting to play pedal notes.

I practise one set and then sing it back straight away, that seems to work for me

jake
TPTXC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing I play every day is one of the Stamp warmups. They help to relax me from the day before and loosen my lips up for the day ahead.
Curry 1 1/2BC
Curry 50m or 3c
The Glidd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too rely on stamp for a ton of concepts.

I do the quick breath excercise with some regularity to get the mouthpiece off the face then back on ASAP. Really helps me with endurance.

I also love the octave excercises with the upper chromatic neighbors.

Definitely, stamp method saved me from being just another bad trumpeter. Now I'm just another mediocre one.

Last edited by The Glidd on Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:17 am; edited 1 time in total
trumpitome

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing Stamp 3 and 4, and just today I had some of the best applicable vibrato that's ever emenated from my horn, despite my over-worked chops.
"The trumpet is a work of art. It covers such a vast expanse of emotion with its limitless capacity to evoke such, ranging from lamented tears to frenzied despair to imbued fortitude and joy, both upon the listener and inevitably the player."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: