• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Limited Time Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a "problem" that I imagine isn't all that unique. A lack of time to practice my horn. Baby #4 arrived last month, the older 3 are busy with sports, school, etc. so I'm playing taxi driver more than anything.

So, realistically I have maybe 30 minutes a day to practice M-F, and maybe 2 hours on either Saturday or Sunday. What's the thinking on where to slot Caruso into the mix? Given the short amount of time during the week, I've been doing Caruso exclusively M-F. I'm only doing exercises 1-2 so far, but will be adding #3 later this week. I do Caruso on the weekend as my "warm-up", then onto Clarke's set-up drills, and some music- minus one type stuff until I'm out of time.

Considering that my primary objectives right now are maintaining/developing sound, endurance, range, is doing Caruso exclusively M-F the optimal approach, considering I have time for only 1 thing per day?

I'm using BugleBoy's "schedule", adding an exercise per week. By the time I get to #3, I'll just about max out my available time during the week, especially when I add the 15 minute rest in exercise #2. So, do I drop #2 when I go to #3 at some point, or stick with #2 until I have time to add?

This forum has been a great source of information and inspiration! I look forward to any and all replies!

(P.S. When I started Exercise #1 3 weeks ago, I was topping out at an E above high C. Last night in exercise #2 I nipped a High G. Certainly not performance quality, but it's progress! My sound and endurance have improved quite a bit as well)
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MF,

If you have only 30 minutes to practice I would suggest doing Caruso for about 10 -12 minutes: Six Notes, an interval (or two) and the harmonics.

Take about five minutes rest and play the remaining 12 - 13 minutes out of method books or etudes.

I think it will be in the best interest of your chops to give them a taste of music playing each day to go along with the calisthenics.

Also your progress and development should not be gauged by how well you do the calisthenic exercises. Measure your improvement by how well your music playing sounds and the ease with which it is played. The calisthenics may give you different results from day to day, but your music playing should become more consistent and more improved.

CR

[ This Message was edited by: bugleboy on 2002-05-13 16:24 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: