• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Welcome to the Mendez forum!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Welcome to the Mendez forum! Reply with quote

I'm very excited to announce this new forum on the site, moderated and lead by David Hickman, Regent's Professor of Trumpet at Arizona State University in Tempe.
For the generation of trumpeters who began to play in the 40's & 50's in the United States, there really weren't any trumpeters more influential and well-known than Mendez, although some perhaps equaled him.
This is a fantastic addition to TH. I hope you all will enjoy reading what's to come as much as I will.

Todd Davidson
"The SA"

Last edited by trumpetherald on Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:47 am; edited 2 times in total
MidNiteHorn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Mendez Forum Welcome Reply with quote

Todd:

I am one of those guys who started in 1945 and Mendez was truly my idol and distant mentor. I still have a complete 78RPM Coast Records album of him from back then.

You say he may have had equals in his day. I know of none who played what he played with his amazing technical ablility and breath control. A young Maurice Andre' and the like were not known over here at the time.

I may not remember some of the other famous players of the 1940-1950's.......can you name a few, please.

Don Olmsted
Albertville, MN
dolms80825@aol.com
The Hard True

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: i agree Reply with quote

i want to know of players like mendez to, with his range, his bright double and triple, and the hard double circular tongue....please tell me, cause i never heard that anywhere , wynton play the moto perpetuo but slurred....that is not to hard as the double circular tongue of 4 MINUTES

PLEASE ANSWER
Bach Mercedes
brem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out about Méndez recently by watching his tutorial videos on YouTube. He's amazing.
trumpetlover57

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Andre and Mendez claimed Tom Hernandez was the best they had heard when he was a student of theirs (obviously at different times).
jwilson46
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i want to know of players like mendez to, with his range, his bright double and triple, and the hard double circular tongue....please tell me, cause i never heard that anywhere , wynton play the moto perpetuo but slurred....that is not to hard as the double circular tongue of 4 MINUTES

I met Mendez when I was 8 years old and then again in college. I asked him about circular breathing. I told him I could do it but not while tonguing. He said that he tried for a couple of years but could not tongue and circular breathe. He told me that he played Moto Perpetuo a few times and then spliced the best parts together. You can hear Sergei Nakariakov play Moto Perpetuo on youtube and he tongues it. Unless he has figured out a new way of circular breathing, I'm guessing that he also spliced it but I don't know for certain. Mendez was a wonderful player and person. He inspired me and countless others.

John
jwilson46
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mendez always spoke highly of other great trumpet players. He told me that he was in awe of a British trumpet player named George Swift. Swift had incredible chops and technique. You can look him up on the internet and hear recordings in the late 30's.

John
doctor-dance

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: FAVORITE GAMES ON TECHNOLOGY Reply with quote

It's a great trumpeter, one of my FAVORITE GAMES ON TECHNOLOGY
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice addition. I just heard a great story about Mendez. A gentleman I played with the other day knew him, and his virtuoso twin (?) sons who went on to become doctors of some repute. When this gentleman inquired of Mendez how proud he must be of his successful sons, he said he regretted them not becoming professional musicians! The tree wants to have its fruit, too!

ed
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rafael was initially disappointed that his sons decided not to go into trumpet playing, but later he was VERY proud to have two medical doctors as sons.
doctor-dance

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: thanks for the info Reply with quote

I did not know that his sons were doctors, thanks for the info!
doctor-dance

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Hello! Russian Reply with quote

Hello! Russian help in finding album trumpeters Rafael Méndez
Bruce 39

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am an "early 50's beginner. As a 9th grader in 1954, I joined my high school band and managed to sit last chair, 3rd trumpet/cornet part. While taking lessons my teacher introduced me to Mendez' recordings which truly amazed me. and I spent the next 6 years (my total time in organized bands until I was into my 50's, trying to emulate him. In the spring of 1957, I had the privilege of hearing him in live concert and speaking with him afterwards. I remember him as very unaffected and approachable, and most importantly to me, very encouraging! He was the first to make me realize that most really top-flight musicians are at the core, pretty nice people!
DavidTKoch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mendez was one of the trumpeters that I most admired. He had such a beautiful sound!
globaltefl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met Rafael Mendez, actually played four times with him. Here's my story.

https://ojtrumpet.no/mendez/meeting/Mendez_Bradley.html
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron, excellent writing. Mendez is such an interesting figure among trumpeters; personal info is always appreciated. Thanks for sharing!
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: