• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mendez Trivia Question #2

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also according to what I know, Mendez only took two lessons from H. L. Clarke.

The first occured after Rafael's lip injury in 1932. Clarke (the same for Schlossberg, Smith and Maggio who he also contacted) could not help him at that time.

The second time was March 12, 1938, in Long Beach. Mendez played Carnival of Venice for Clarke. This impressed Clarke so much that he said there was nothing he could teach Mendez.

Trpdoc, as you can see from the top of this tread, Mendez saw a snake charmer at a fair in Chicago in 1934. This person used circular breathing (c.b) and that was what got Mendez started doing c.b. on trumpet.

Ole
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I just spent a whole day with the Mendez family during the Mendez operatta. I asked Robert and Rafael, Jr. if Mendez smoked.

They said "Absolutely not. Not ever. Smoking was very fashionable in the 1950's and he tried one cigerette. After a couple of puffs he became almost ill and NEVER touched a cigarette again."

There you go.

DH
trptdoc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Mendez did indeed have obsturctive lung disease(emphysema) and did not smoke, I am very interested to know if there is a connection with long term brass playing and this disease. How many other brass players are known to have developed this problem? Both Mendez and Gordon were known to practice 6 or more hours per day for years and they both developed it I used to hear Claude wheeze when we played.

The studies we did in the 80's indicated that professional brass players all had abnormal results on routine pulmonary function testing. We felt it was because they were able to blow a significantly larger amount of the reserve volume out than were the age matched controls. After deep exhalation the calculated residual volume(amount of air remaining in the lungs) was significantly smaller in brass players.

Ole, your information is instructive, as Claude always intimated that Mendez studied a significant time with Clark.
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mendez did not have emphysema. He died of an asthmatic attact due to brochitis. He woke up in the middle of the night, found it difficult to breathe and then took a hit from his bird inhaler. As you now, the inhaler will cause the congestion to temporarily worsen for a short while. When this happened, he paniced and took more puffs. Before the medicine could clear his congestion, his heart went into cardiac arrest.
trptdoc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information on Mr. Mendez'z death. Interestingly, patients with chronic bronchitis and asthma ususally have emphysema by default. It all leads to obstuction of the airways which by definition is emphysema. If he had a Bird Respiratory at his home he must have had chronic problems with his breathing. The bronchial dialator used in the respirator is closely related to adrenaline and can cause fatal arrythmias of the heart ie: Venticular Fibrilation, especially if he made several "hits" on the machine. With the early bronchodialators this happened a lot.

I'm still wondering if years of brass playing causes an increased incidence of bronchiopulmonary problems.
Brian Moon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emil Gowatch, his good friend from his Detroit years, told me that Mendez did smoke. Very confusing.

ObamaCare, a massive government takeover, a measure destroying jobs and the economy, a law designed to enslave the American people, an instrument of tyranny in the hands of criminal elitists.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: