• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Méndez in Memory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:00 am    Post subject: Méndez in Memory Reply with quote

I have the VHS called "Méndez in Memory"

A video presentation of the trumpet legend, taken from home films and various presentations.

My problem now is that since my old VHS machine broke down I have no media to play it on. Instead of getting a new VHS, I got a DVD player (like most people do these days).

I would like to have a version of this video on DVD. I guess I'm not alone in this wish?

Dave, if you have any influence on Summit Records, could you ask them to make a DVD version?

Perhaps they could add some more things as well (clip from the movie Cowboy, a presentation of the Mendez Library, etc.) ?

Ole

P.S.
The link to the VHS at Summit Record is here: http://www.summitrecords.com/product.tmpl?SKU=227
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ole:

Well, I still own a very small percentage of Summit Records (sold about 83% of my interest in it back in 1998) and have some input with those guys. Yes, we have discussed a DVD on Mendez.

Right now, I am coordinating a HUGE project centered around the 100th birthday of Mendez in 2006.

The plan is to raise funds to have a major concert in honor of Mendez' birthday in Gammage Auditorium (3000 seats) on the Arizona State University main campus sometime in the Spring of 2006. (Mendez was actually born on March 26, 1906 as I'm sure you know.)

This concert will be a fundraiser for the School of Music and the Rafael Mendez Library. Participating ensembles will likely be our symphony orchestra, wind symphony, and maybe the top jazz band.

We have not yet set all of this up, but we are hoping to work everything out to have Gerry Schwarz as the main guest conductor, several speaking celebrities who knew Mendez, and two or three TOP trumpet soloists (we are thinking big, here!) as guest soloists on the concert.

A big part of the project is to videotape the concert, tours of the Mendez Library, interviews with soloists and the Mendez brothers, etc. to be included in a 90 minute DVD on Mendez. The DVD would include some movie clips, home video clips, sound clips, still photos, TV appearances by Mendez, as well as candid scenes during the 2006 Rafael Mendez Brass Institute with Summit Brass.

Sound interesting???

As for transferring the older VHS tape to DVD......not a current priority, I'm afraid.

Dave Hickman
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave,

Great news!
I will buy any DVD as soon as it is available. It is no big thing to have this VHS (alone) over on DVD.

You know when I started my personal tribute page for Mendez there was almost nothing on the Internet about him. Now thanks to the great work you and others do, we have a lot.

* This forum (that are growing rapidly)
* Rafael Méndez Online Library
* Mendez Collection (his solos transcribed for trumpet and piano.)

Ole
tptchic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Rafael Mendez: In Memory Reply with quote

Does anyone have the video entitled "Rafale Mendez: In Memory" and is willing to part with it? I am willing to pay a reasonable $ amount. You can email me at jessie_wills@hotmail.com. Thanks!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: