• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Transfering music from a miniDisc to a PC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the easiest way to transfer music from my minidisc player directly to my PC? Any particular cable needed to get the job done?

F.Y.I - I have a Sharp MD-SR60 Portable MiniDisc player and a Sound Blaster sound card w/Live! Drive...
vivace
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine who had a minidisc used a cable that went right into his PC. I thoguht they came with the players, but i don't own one so I wouldn't know. But there is a cable you can get. It should cost you somewhere between 1 and 3,000 dollars (i have no clue how much they are.)
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Xenoman! I know a guy that frequently records his big band gigs on a mini-disc player and I think that he moves them to his computer so that he can put them on CD. I'll see if I can get in touch with him and put the two of you together on that.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-05-17 08:23, trickg wrote:
Hey Xenoman! I know a guy that frequently records his big band gigs on a mini-disc player and I think that he moves them to his computer so that he can put them on CD. I'll see if I can get in touch with him and put the two of you together on that.

Hey PG! (I guess I should be changing my name now - huh? ) That is exactly what I plan to do. I recorded a practice session on my miniDisc player and it sounds pretty good. Thinking of making CD copies for members so we can analyze our sound.
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest way is probably using the analog output (line or headphone) from your minidisc into the line in of your sound card. The result won't be pro quality, but should be pretty good. It's also the cheapest route -- the cable should be under $10 at any electronics or stereo store. Your sound card proabably came with software for making the CDs; if not, there are some shareware things available, as well as things like Cakewalk, Digital Performer, etc. to do the job. There have been other threads on this; do a search to see what comes up. I don't recall the software most suggested, and don't use my PC for recording. (Maybe someday...) I'm afraid that my PC would too often be singing the "blues" (i.e., blue screen of death! )

If your MD has a digital output, you could get a digital interface card for you PC, but that's more work (and expense).

HTH - Don
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-05-17 10:04, Don Herman wrote:
The easiest way is probably using the analog output (line or headphone) from your minidisc into the line in of your sound card. The result won't be pro quality, but should be pretty good. It's also the cheapest route -- the cable should be under $10 at any electronics or stereo store. Your sound card proabably came with software for making the CDs; if not, there are some shareware things available, as well as things like Cakewalk, Digital Performer, etc. to do the job. There have been other threads on this; do a search to see what comes up. I don't recall the software most suggested, and don't use my PC for recording. (Maybe someday...) I'm afraid that my PC would too often be singing the "blues" (i.e., blue screen of death! )

If your MD has a digital output, you could get a digital interface card for you PC, but that's more work (and expense).

HTH - Don

Thanks Don. I am going to hit radio shack during lunch and see if I can grab a cable for the job. I do have a digital out on my MD but I will take the cheap route this time around.
mumbles

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure the chord you get is STEREO...
ie: two black lines on each plug end.
I've done this numerous times...and the first time I couldn't figure out why I was only getting one speaker...
-C
--------------------------------------------------
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-05-18 05:20, mumbles wrote:
make sure the chord you get is STEREO...
ie: two black lines on each plug end.
I've done this numerous times...and the first time I couldn't figure out why I was only getting one speaker...
-C

Oooohhhh.... so THAT'S why it's doing that. I will be going back to Radio Shack today. Thanks bud.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: