• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Did Mendez tripple tongue?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blancolate
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Did Mendez tripple tongue? Reply with quote

My teacher, a highly respected classical trumpet in NY, believes that Mendez never triple tongued. He believes Mendez would always use his double tongue to get the job done. Did Mendez ever address this articulation question?
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mendez may have used the double pattern in triple tonguing some of the time, but his clinic tapes indicate that he advocated TTK.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave
The idea of double tongue in a triple pattern (or however one is supposed to refer to it) was a completely alien concept to me before hearing you speak at ITG Texas. I had never even heard it suggested as a possibility. It has been a source of frustration ever since!
Just when I thought I knew what I was doing, you had to suggest something different.
I still use a more conventional pattern for my triple tongue, but the exercise of doubling a triple passage has improved my control a huge amount. Many thanks for the idea.

I have got one of my more advanced students working on this and he is becoming rather adept at it. Sickening really. I think this could be that he had never been taught how to single tongue (he started everything from the lungs), so he started learning single and double tongueing at the same time. Shame he plays euphonium
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use TTK most of the time, but on long hauls (extended passages of triplets) at very fast speeds I use TKT KTK (giving slight accents on the first note of each triplet.) It is much faster.

I think the Irons book was the first to formalize this technique, but I am not sure.

Many of my students that could already triple tongue TTK pretty well when they arrived have had difficulty learning the Irons way. Some have stuck with it, practicing this maybe 10 minutes each day, and have been very successful within 6 months or so in using both methods.

The best way is to teach students "multiple" tonguing is when they are kids. They can develop TK TK TK (groups of 6 note patterns) and TKT KTK at the same time. Later, they should develop TTK for fanfare tonguing.

Dave Hickman
Martin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpt.hick wrote:

(...) at very fast speeds I use TKT KTK (giving slight accents on the first note of each triplet.) It is much faster. (...)
Dave Hickman

Funny - I´ve been doing this all the time without ever thinking about it. I guess it came to me logically, being a former drummer (typical triplet pattern: RLR LRL).

Great forum, BTW!

Martin
allstarbugler
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have often wondered about the influence Mendez had on James Burke and vice versa.

It should be known (for those who do not) that James Burke wrote a book titled "New Directions in Tonguing" which demonstrated the art of using the double tongue approach to triple tonguing. Da-ga-da Da-ga-da instead of Tu-Tu-Ku Tu-tu-ku. It should also be noted that no one (in my experience and opinion) could triple tongue as fast as Mr. Burke. See Danza Allegre.

http://www.jfbcornet.com/mp3s.htm
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burke certainly was incredible.

The Mendez Library contains nothing linking Mendez and Burke. They surely must have met and known of each other, but I don't know of any strong influences of one on the other.
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget TKT. I think St. Jacome is the cat behind this. It's really the same as TTK. It just starts with TK.
TKt tkT TKt tkT TKt tkT etc.

Hey! I just came up with a new model. The KTT. It's really the same thing. Try this on some triplets. KTT KTT KTT. Of course in real life, you probably would not want to start with a K tongue. That's why it's just a model.

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
AccentOnTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe Mendez had to triple-tongue very often. I know he never really single tongued, because that was a problem for him. When you can double tongue that well, it's not as important to be able to triple tongue, I don't think. I always just thought of triple tonguing as a double tongue plus another single attack.
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mendez did triple tongue very well! Check out recordings of "Mexican Hat Dance" and "Jota No. 1." WOW!

He was often asked why he did not triple tongue so much. He replied that he felt that triple tonguing was too much associated with the older, then dated, cornet solos. He wanted to get away from that tradition.

DH
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The music in the book, The Rafael Méndez Collection (by Carl Fischer) has very little trippel notes. I looked through the whole book, just searching for "trippel tongue places". As you can see from the contents (here is a content list btw, http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/mendez/collection/ ) there are no typical old cornet solos.

Ole
AccentOnTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have that book. I was actually a bit disappointed with it because it didn't have "Samba Gitana", "Tico Tico", "La Virgen De La Macarena" and other essentials.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister (a flute player) never learned to triple tongue, but always used
ta-ka, saying it was easier. Trying to get the accent right eludes me. Just curious here; Arban specifically says not to move on to multiple tongue too soon, especially stacatto. I like the approach of starting early better; why this conflict?
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess because if your single tongue is not clean and fast, multiple tonguing will not be good. One of the main things to work on when first learning multiple tonguing is to work towards making the "K" sylable sound as good as the "T" sylable. At least, that's my take on it.
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in college I studied with Jimmy Burke. We worked a lot on tonguing and he never mentioned TKT.

He was retired from playing when I studied with him but his tonguing was the fastest that I have ever heard.

I am going to practice TKT for a couple of weeks and I will let you know how it goes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: