• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tomasi Concerto recordings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working on this concerto for a little over a year now and I'm almost there on it. Unfortunatally, I only own one recording of it, by Wynton Marsalis. It is a good recording, but I am looking for new ideas on the piece. Does anybody have a favorite recording of the Tomasi concerto?? I have heard the Sergei Nakariakov recording and it was pretty good. Also, does anybody know where I might be able to find the Maurice Andre recording? I have heard it is the best recording of all. Thanks for you help!

Jeff Holbrook
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I'd avoid the Marsalis recording. For a jazz player he sounds very un-jazzy on this piece. On CD get the Aubier recording - he sounds really jazzy, especially in the 2nd movement - sounds like he's improvising, which I think is how it should sound. Of course the old Maurice Andre recording is a classic, but it's never been available on CD.

John Urness
TJH

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree- Aubier's interpretation seems a lot closer to what (we assume) Tomasi was trying to get us to hear.

Come to think of it, Marsalis sounds rather stiff (square?) on all the selections on that particular CD. His interpretation of the Jolivet concertino comes off the best. Everyone seems to have some problem with Marsalis' interpretations. I wonder if it's latent jealousy? From a technical standpoint, he's so flawless.

I guess where Marsalis may have fallen short on the those pieces is that he's not French, and the Tomasi (along with the Jolivet's) are very French pieces of music, even if they are inspired by American jazz. In the end, it's a French distillation of jazz, like Ravel's take on cakewalks and foxtrots, not "real" jazz. Also, a guy like Aubier may have had a chance to hear Tomasi's other music. What else is Tomasi known for in North America besides his trumpet concerto?

I thought I saw Andre's version on a CD collection somewhere..... I haven't heard the Nakaranikov- just as aside, I do wish the guy could do more stuff written specifically for the trumpet. The guy has chops to spare- imagine him ripping through Jolivet's Heptade....

[ This Message was edited by: TJH on 2002-05-25 00:27 ]
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you're right. Tomasi's jazzy music reminds me of Milhaud's music looking at early 20th century Harlem jazz through the eyes of a Frenchman. Milhaud actually spent some time in Harlem in the 20s listening to the real thing before writing the "Creation of the World".

There are a few other Tomasi pieces that get done from time to time. He wrote concertos for most orchestral instruments, but the only other one I've ever heard is the horn concerto. He also wrote a very nice piece for brass ensemble called "Fanfares Liturgiques". If you play in a brass ensemble do this piece. It's a lot of fun and has really nice trumpet writing. There are several recordings including Summit Brass and Chicago's Millar Brass.

John Urness
Atomlinson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a CD with the Tomasi Concerto performed by Maurice Andre. I'm not sure if it's still available.

Try the "Maurice Andre Edition" on Erato, the CD number is 2292-45775-2. In addition to the Tomasi you get the Jolivet Concertino, Jolivet Concerto No.2, and the Arutunian Concerto with various orchestras.

If it's been deleted try a second-hand dealer, I've picked up a few great trumpet CD's this way.

Good hunting

Andrew Tomlinson
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: