• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Curry Chicago Mpc's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Webbsta78
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

I was wondering who has experience with Mark Curry's Chicago line of mpc's? These are the ones marked BC(i.e. 1BC, 1 1/2 BC etc.)

I have one coming for a 'test drive' and was wanting to hear what others think of them.

Thanks a bunch

Jason
trumpjosh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the Chicago line (1BC). I really liked the rim (a copy of a Mt. Vernon 1c), REALLY liked how willing Mark was to work with me, but for me, the sound was not quite right especially in the low register. I suspect that the issue was the backbore instead of the cup, but at the time Mark didn't have too many backbore options. He may have more now. At the time, I wanted something like a Bach 24 backbore, but his backbore was more like a Bach 7 (he called it his "2" backbore which was standard on the Chicago series). I've had a few students who bought some of these pieces and really sounded good on them. Definitely give them a shot. Mark is a superb craftsman and a really good guy.
RockyM
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jason,

I play several Curry pieces, all 3-rim size including the 3BC. I love the way it sounds, but it doesn't work on all horns.

I put a Blackburn 19-350 leadpipe on my Strad C, and found the combination of that pipe/horn with the 3BC caused the pitch to go noticeably flat on low C and below. I think it's because the throatbackbore combination is much more open, as is the leadpipe. It was very difficult to keep the pitch up.

I bought a Curry 3B (Curry blank) that has a little tighter backbore and throat and voila, nicely in tune.

I really like the way the 3BC plays on my Bb, or even on my C as long as I'm in the staff or above.

Mark is a great guy and really knows his stuff. I have a number of his pieces and love them all. Give them a try. I have several friends that play them and really like the sound as well.
romajore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a 5 BC. It's great! I played a number of other pieces, some for a year or more including Bach, GR, Warburton and Reeves before I found the Curry. For me it's the one.

FYI most of my playing is brass ensemble and classical solos on a Schilke B1.

I also use a Curry VC on my Getzen Eterna cornet when I want that vintage sound and am in the process of buying a FL piece for my newly acquired flugelhorn.

Mark is great to work with, too. Give Mark's pieces a try. It will be worth your time.
bachstrad72
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been playing my Curry 1BC for the past month or so on Bb trumpet, and have nothing but the highest praise for it. It is an excellent mouthpiece for both orchestral and band section playing as well as solo work as well. Super comfy rim (as would be expected, its a copy of a Mt Vernon rim) and the cup just has a gorgeous round teutonic tone about it. Most definately consider this, like the website says "this is THE orchestral sound you are looking for"
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also very happy with my Curry Chicago mouthpiece. I'm playing on the 1 and 1/4 and it helps me get the exact sound I'm looking for. I don't know of a negative side to these Chicago line pieces.

Matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I have a question. These Curry Chicago models seem like they could be something I would like, though I am happy with my current Monettes. Curry says that the rim is a Bach 1C rim with a B cup. Is the rim the same for all as far as shape and contour? I know that the diameter would change with mouthpiece size. I am curious because a Bach 1C rim is drastically different from a 1 1/4C rim. Does Curry use a 1C rim for all, or the normal Bach rim for all sizes? Put another way, would a 5BC have a 1C style rim or a 5C style rim? Thanks
RockyM
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of Curry's rims are idential for a given size. So, all rims of his 1 series would be identical, but different from the 1 1/4, 3, etc.

I went from the Monette 4 rim size to the Curry 3 and found it equally as comfortable as the Monette but with many more cup options.

Curry's BC is definitely more 'V' shaped; like a Bach 1B cup. His straight 'B' & 'C' cups are more bowl-like, like a Bach 1C. It just depends on the sound you're looking for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: