• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

When his horn was altered

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: When his horn was altered Reply with quote

Does anyone know the story about RM turning his horn over to Olds for repair (or whatever) and then them finding several "faults" with the horn which they preceeded to fix? And then RM complaining that he could no longer play it comfortably so they had to undo the fixes.
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles,

I think the incident you are referring to was when Mendez complained to the Olds people about his new trumpet (he bragged to audiences at clinics that he played serial number 0001) not having good flexibility. He said the notes slotted strongly, but the horn felt stiff. He mentioned that his old French Besson played much better.

They lapped the valves of the Olds while he waited there in the factory. Afterwards, he loved the horn because it was not so air tight.

Dave Hickman
gio trumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i heard that one of his horns leaked in the valves area and then they fixed it and he didnt like it. they had to fix it again back to where it would leak. again, I'm I getting the right info?
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not entirely sure.

He liked his French Besson because it leaked a little. The new Mendez model didn't leak and it felt bad to him. After they lapped the valves, it leaked a little bit and he liked it.

I think there were two different horns involved, but I am not 100% sure.

DH
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: