• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Dizzy and Balanced Embouchure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry Freedman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking at some old pictures of Dizzy when he was a young player. He looks a lot like he is doing /working out of what Jeff Smiley would call a lip clamp.

On a related note Roy Roman who swears by Stevens uses a "frown" based setting which is impossible without bunching the chin a la superchops/balanced embouchure - Could it be that there is not such a discontinuity between the various embouchure types?

J. Freedman
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hadn't thought of the Dizzy connection... Have to think on that (had apsuedo-clinic with him once -- great guy!)

FWIW, Leon Merian says (in TMBTH) that he first learned by watching an orchestra in which the players all "frowned" and he certainly learned to play well! Maybe not a far-fetched idea...

Toodles - Don
Wtrager

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry wrote:
"On a related note Roy Roman who swears by Stevens uses a "frown" based setting which is impossible without bunching the chin a la superchops/balanced embouchure - Could it be that there is not such a discontinuity between the various embouchure types? "

With all due respect Jerry, it is not impossible to use a "frown" based setting without bunching the chin. I am an upstreamer, and have been for sometime. Stevens advocated a spacing of at least 1/2" between the upper and lower teeth. For many individuals - this would be impossible if they bunched their chin. Infact, this is a problem that I have wrestled with on and off for quite some time. There are 2 types of upstreamers - those that employ a chin bunch, and those that do not. The group that does not emloy the chin bunch bring their corners inward. This creates the frown that you speak of, and allows the player to keep the teeth apart. Infact, bringing the corners inward actually ensures that the teeth will maintain the proper gap of 1/2", and in some cases actually widen it.
As far as discontinuity between the various embouchure types - I agree with your logic. I don't see too many differences between them. Wait while I don my fire retardant suit.
Sincerely,
Wayne http://communities.msn.com/TragerTrumpetTalk/_whatsnew.msnw
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Warbird
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to also consider when relating something to Dizzy is that many people think of Dizzy as having the most "incorrect" technique possible yet, he could still play a trumpet better then most people today can.

In Christ,
Joseph N. Pack

PS I'm listening to Dizzy Gillespie's "Anthropology" right now...crazy stuff. Its not that the peice is too hard...its how he blends with the vibes so well!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: