• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

One day soon....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
epoustoufle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: One day soon.... Reply with quote

We (some of us) talk about a mouthpieces a lot and spend a lot of time on Kanstul comparator looking at a small subset of possiblities. You think you have an idea of what you want... good luck! Maybe it's a fool's game and you just need to be happy with what came in the case...

But maybe one day soon with 3d printing we can actually order what we (think we) want. I'm already astonished that in this day and age, for all intents and purposes we are supposed to lay out $80-90-100-150-250 for a random piece of metal +/- 10% and shipping to return it.

I've inquired about traces but the manufacturers are really not all on board with this. It's ripe for disruption as soon as someone in the world can (1) program a computer (2) play trumpet (3) buy a 3d printer. The day is coming....

Thank God!
Heim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about polymer mouthpieces?
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of people have made 3D printed mouthpieces. The biggest issue with the current technology is that traditional mouthpieces have subtle differences measured at 0.001 inches and today's 3D printers cannot remotely approach that precision. But, you're right, they will in time. First the expensive ones and then eventually models cheap enough for home use.
jojocat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: One day soon.... Reply with quote

epoustoufle wrote:
We (some of us) talk about a mouthpieces a lot and spend a lot of time on Kanstul comparator looking at a small subset of possiblities. You think you have an idea of what you want... good luck! Maybe it's a fool's game and you just need to be happy with what came in the case...

Funny statement....I've spent A LOT of money and time searching for the perfect match to my new Committee trumpet. Almost found what I wanted in a brand who makes excellent mouthpieces, but after buying many different models, that wasn't exactly the sound concept I had in head.

Then , a couple weeks ago I bought a used Buescher Aristocrat that included a Buescher 15 mouthpiece. Not the one we usuall see but one that has the shape of a Bach. Oh Lord....what a sound! After trying many models and spending so much money I got the perfect mouthpiece as a gift in an old smelling case...

Martin Committee trumpet
Yamaha 6335H
Yamaha 6320
Accent 781
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, did the mouthpiece safari and ended up with Warburton 6 sized diameters, for most things used a 6D because I like the sound and articulation.

Then, totally by accident, ended up with a Stork SM10 and now have two more in different configurations. That is all I have used, for the most part, for the past 3 years.
Since all other motives—fame, money, power, even honor—are thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it.” Wayne Booth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: