• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jet-Tone Al Hirt mouthpiece with no model number?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gjdoyle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:44 pm    Post subject: Jet-Tone Al Hirt mouthpiece with no model number? Reply with quote

Forgive me if this is answered somewhere else and I couldn't find it, but I stumbled into what appears to be a vintage "JET-TONE" AL HIRT MODEL in gold plated aluminum, but all of the examples I've been seeing online have an A, B, or C model letter on them. It's a very shallow cup with a wide, flat rim. Anyone know more about the history on this particular piece or its value?
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1620618

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
gjdoyle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks!
so what
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Jet-Tone Al Hirt mouthpiece with no model number? Reply with quote

gjdoyle wrote:
Forgive me if this is answered somewhere else and I couldn't find it, but I stumbled into what appears to be a vintage "JET-TONE" AL HIRT MODEL in gold plated aluminum, but all of the examples I've been seeing online have an A, B, or C model letter on them. It's a very shallow cup with a wide, flat rim. Anyone know more about the history on this particular piece or its value?

I used to play one of these aluminum, gold anodized Al Hirt mouthpieces with no letter back in high school. This was in the 60s. I played in a stage band organized to teach us kids how to play, led by Bill Tonti. He played in Paul Whiteman's band. We practiced at the local YMCA. Bill was a good guy for putting up with us.

Bill loaned me this piece and I played it for a couple years. It has a really flat rim and it is really shallow, but it gets a fuller sound that what you might expect by looking at it. It had a nice bright sound (but not thin) in both of my trumpets, a 1930s King Liberty (my Dad's) with the diamond tuning brace, and a Burbank Benge I bought from the Pittsburgh Benge rep, Jerry Callet. Both are great trumpets that I still have.

The gold anodized finish felt a bit different than the silver Bach I also used, more slippery. I used too much mouthpiece pressure back then. The flat rim helped it take longer before everything fell apart from too much pressure. That is certainly NOT the reason to play this mouthpiece, though.

Some years after I gave the gold colored AL Hirt back to Bill, I bought a silver plated more modern one. I'm sure that I could find it if I looked. It was different. Looked similar in shape but didn't play as well. I wish I still had the gold one.
gjdoyle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, wonder what the difference is between them, if any. Anyways, if you want a gold one, make me an offer by PM -- seems I can't manage to play it without lips bottoming out, and I'd like to see it go to a good home. Can send pics, too.
so what
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Jet-Tone Al Hirt mouthpiece with no model number? Reply with quote

so what wrote:
Some years after I gave the gold colored AL Hirt back to Bill, I bought a silver plated more modern one. I'm sure that I could find it if I looked. It was different. Looked similar in shape but didn't play as well. I wish I still had the gold one.

I found the newer one. It Says "Jet Tone " Al Hirt Model A on the side of that very flat rim.
Ronnman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjdoyle - PM sent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: