• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Proper care for raw brass horn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JSTpt1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Proper care for raw brass horn Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to properly take care of a raw brass trumpet? ie. How to keep it from tarneshing too much, too quickly? Can it be cleaned like a silver horn? If anyone has any ideas that would be great. Thanks

Monette B1-1, B1-5L, C1-1 mpc
gregc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just try to clean it well after each use. Eventually, it will get spotty, and funky in spots. Get some brass cleaner and clean it up. I try not to use anything too abrasive. I want to keep all the material in tact. No bigt deal really.

gregc
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A raw brass horn (i.e., one with no lacquer finish over the brass) is entirely up to the owner as to what finish one desires. One can allow the brass to oxidize and become brownish and dull, or one can attempt to keep up a shiny polish finish on the horn. It's entirely up to the individual -- each to his own, so to say. I prefer a raw brass horn to appear dull and brownish. However, if I wanted it to shine I'd use a mild cleaner like Twinkle (for copper) on it. I'd stay away from brasso because (a) it stinks, and (b) it leaves a residue that I believe is difficult to remove from the brass.
MikeBb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke with a metalworking guy who builds instruments and parts, and he said the worries about Brasso are unfounded. I believed it was too abrasive, but he pointed out that almost everyone in the military uses it regularly, and that you never see military belt buckles get worn out through from too much cleaning.....
ken_fung
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally would not try to shine a raw brass horn too often. When it got tarnished, the brass is rendered passive due to the layer of oxidation. You polish away the oxidation, the new layer will become oxidized...

The biggest enemy for raw brass horn is moisture, do not put it in the case unless you are sure it's absolutely dry or else it will develop a very undesirable green "rust".
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I personally would not try to shine a raw brass horn too often. When it got tarnished, the brass is rendered passive due to the layer of oxidation. You polish away the oxidation, the new layer will become oxidized...

This makes so much sense because I had my Olds Recording stripped over a year ago and it still looks beautiful and has a nice patina to it. I'd never want to polish that patina off the horn.

I also keep it in a tarnish bag and that seems to keep it looking great.

00 Schilke S22
77 LA Benge 5X
63 Burbank Benge C

"It's what we think we know that keeps us from knowing"
ROGERIO
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Avon Product Reply with quote

I own 4 horns that are raw brass. This is what I do now:

After years of polishing I came across a product my wife uses from Avon called "Skin So Soft". It's a oily liquid she uses on dry skin. It came with a reference net site "1,000 uses for Skin So Soft". The stuff does everything... takes sticky left over glue from labels etc off anything. Easy on paint so you can use it to remove things on your car paint... Anyway... one of the listed uses for it was to keep brass from tarnishing. So I tried it... and it's still working a year later... eventually the brass did darken a bit but it was a even change and not the spots you get from just leaving it alone. Just a light coat will do the trick...

Plus it does have a nice smell to it.... folks I play with think I smell "lovely"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: