• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Stamp and buzzing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the Stamp Moderator: Please see the post entitled "Buzzing Insights" under "Fundamentals" Any insights on the benefits of buzzing and whether buzzing as advocated by Stamp can cause stiffness.
mcstock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-06-06 10:35, Pat wrote:
To the Stamp Moderator: Please see the post entitled "Buzzing Insights" under "Fundamentals" Any insights on the benefits of buzzing and whether buzzing as advocated by Stamp can cause stiffness.

I've never experienced any stiffness caused by buzzing. When I have become stiff, it usually from performing to much and practicing too little. The cure is returning to the mouthpiece drill with proper attention to how it needs to be played. I had the advantage of studying for several years with a Stamp student who really knows his stuff.

The best answers to your questions are in Roy Poper's book. Here's a brief quote from an interview he did with the ITG Journal in Dec. 1996.

"Stamp was painfully patient to be sure that his students buzzed correctly. Correctly meant the student produced the buzz as loosely as possible in the center of the lip while maintaining good support and keeping the corners together at all times."

Best wishes,
Matt Stock
http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/Strasse/7826
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: