• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mendez high school concerts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottydog

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Mendez high school concerts Reply with quote

During the 60s, Mendez would often play as guest performer at high school concerts. He did at my high school in Oxnard. At the first rehersal, we were so bad he told our conductor he couldn't play with us. Our band director then contacted another hs band in the LA area, and many of their members were imported into our band for purposes of the concert. Mendez was persuaded to come back and hear us again. He did, and lauded us for our hard work, saying the concert could go forward! At the time, I was playing 1st chair trombone, and unfortunately none of the importees from the LA band were trombonists. The piece we were playing had one part in which the complete band went silent for the trombones to play a very high note, which I not only couldn't play, but couldn't even figure out what the note was it was so damn high. During rehearsal, Mendez looked at the trombone section after we had goofed the note up, saying that it was very important that we play that note, for that was the lead in for him to go into an incredible solo, with his trumpet kicking out notes like a machine gun. The night of the concert, when the crucial time came for me to hit the note, I went silent, hoping the trombonist next to me would play it. He didn't. So there was a complete pause, followed by Mendez's solo. Needless to say, I didn't look up to see his face after the number was finished. I was too busy studying my shoes.

The man was incredible on the trumpet -- each note played with complete authority and incredible precision. His wife told the story that he would get up in the morning and practice. At lunch, she would bring him a sandwich, which he would gobble down. By evening, he would still be practicing, still in his pajamas.

I wonder if anyone else out there had Mendez play at their high school concert. I would be very interested in hearing about it if such is the case.
Brewblue1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who has spent a significant amount of time in the Méndez Library I am very envious of anyone who had the great fortune to meet and perform with Mr. Méndez.

While working on the Rafael Méndez Online Library I felt, in a way, that I got to know the man and his family through all the photographs, letters and articles that are archived in the RML. One thing I wish I could have included on the website were the 5 or 6 scrapbooks that Méndez recieved from high school bands that he had performed with. They all expressed EXTREME gratitude to the man who had just spent a couple of days not only performing with the band, but teaching and working with the students. Unfortunately our scanner was not big enough to include the entire scrapbooks. However, any photos, articles or programs that were in the scrapbooks are included on the website.

I had the pleasure to meet Mr. Méndez sons a few years ago at a concert at ASU after a benefit concert to raise funds for a scholarship fund in his name. Drs. Rafael, Jr. and Robert were incredibly polite, intelligent and gracious. It appears that the apples certainly did not fall far from the tree as that is mostly how I have heard Mr. Méndez described.

Having given a large number of tours of the RML, I have met several people who love to tell how performing with Méndez was a highlight of not only their musical careers, but of their lives! Emails have poured into the Online Library mailbox, claiming the same.

It appears that Méndez was not only a great musician, but a great man. I was a young boy when he died, in fact, I had JUST started playing the trumpet in 1981. I would have loved to have met him, and am always glad to hear stories from anyone who did.

Keep 'em coming folks!
Shires Artist
Tromba Mundi
Summit Brass
AccentOnTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love watching the videos of Mendez playing. His playing looks just like it sounds, full of utter ease, control and accuracy.
Jeffh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Mendez materialls Reply with quote

I currently teach at a school that Mendez came to 3 or 4 times in the late '50s/early '60s. I happen to have a picture of him taking a bow after a performance that I'd be happy to eMail to someone at the Mendez library, if there's any interest. (I am currently using it as the wallpaper on my computer.) I also have an album that the hs band recorded in 1957 that includes spoken commentary and performances of La Virgen and Tico Tico that I might possibly be able to send as well. Let me know.

Jeff Hornick
Director of Bands
McMinnville HS
McMinnville, Oregon
dlyren
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

I would LOVE to get copies of both of those things. Joe Burgstaller and I are doing a presentation on Mendez at the next ITG conference. We could use these things in the presentation if that's ok with you.

Incidentally - I first heard of Mendez from my mother. She was a trumpet player from South Dakota who played in the All State Band all four years. In her fourth year, Mendez was the guest soloist with the All State Band. During intermission of the concert, Mendez called her to the front of the stage, congratulated her, and kissed her hand! I'd been told that story since I was a kid, and that's what led to my interest in Mendez - leading to my dissertation under Dave Hickman's direction.

Del Lyren
Trumpet1Ohio
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the late '60s I heard Mendez at Eastmoor High School in Columbus, OH. He was here 2 years in a row...heard both concerts. His one concert he played Moto Perpetuo. It was tremendous! He said at the beginning of the evening that he was not well, had a pretty bad cold, but would do his best. At the end of the concert he received a long and enthusiastic standing ovation. He was very moved by the ovation and said that he hadn't prepared anything for an encore since he wasn't feeling well. He said that he was touched by the crowd's response and that he would replay anything that he had performed that night. The crowd, almost unanimously shouted Moto Perpetuo!! He joked with the crowd about their picking the toughest piece to perform, and then played it again...perfect! It was an incredible night.

LA Benge 3X+
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That is incredible. It is also very rare because he did not play that piece in concert very often.

I wish I could have been there!

DH
trptdoc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have loved to be there also!!! Many have claimed that Moto Perpetuo was never performed with a live audience. Some even claimed it was over dubbed and not possible to perform!!! Playing Mexican Hat Dance with him at my high school in 1959 was the motivation that began my lifelong persuit of this piece of pipe.
Trumpet1Ohio
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased the album that Moto Perpetuo is on after the concert. I just pulled it out and played it...really scratchy but amazing. I have Wynton's recording of it and, although still very good, he's nowhere near as impressive as Rafael. Wynton slurs it, instead of double tongues.

LA Benge 3X+
mazzus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word on the street is that he (or some other trumpeter) came to my high school (Burbank High School) way back when (I don't really know when). But I do know that it was because the jazz band had won a festival or contest or some thing.
yeaup.

-Kendall
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: