• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Triple D

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpet1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but I just finished a parade that day when it went down...It's back up again
funkymonkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol
trumpet1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I may be a pressure player, how can I tell!?
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funkymonkey,

Think about the notes that you can play every day. THAT'S your range. The notes that you can play some days but not others are the ones you're TRYING to get.

Be realistic in how you assess your range and it may not be as frustrating psychological. You have a certain range and you are practicing to improve that range. Don't let trying to improve be a source of frustration, it should be a source of anticipation and satisfaction. It should be an esteem builder for you.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to keep things in perspective. We'd all like to be able to nail it like Maynard, Arturo or Faddis, but if you focus on making music and other fundamentals of playing, this range that you have right now most likely will only get stronger and will expand on it's own.

Oh, you can tell if you are a pressure player if your lips feel tender and bruised or if you have small abrasions on the inside of your lips from your teeth after playing hard.

[ This Message was edited by: trickg on 2002-07-05 08:47 ]
trumpet1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a lot of pressure but my lips don't seem to bleed or bruise...
trumpet1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-10-01 18:59 ]
ByroTrumpet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg said,
"Try to keep things in perspective. We'd all like to be able to nail it like Maynard, Arturo or Faddis, but if you focus on making music and other fundamentals of playing, this range that you have right now most likely will only get stronger and will expand on it's own. "
RIGHT ON!!!!

Honestly, for being in your second year of playing you are kicking some serious butt! After two years of playing i had no idea what a triple D was. Seroiusly you don't need to worry about those notes too much above high G. I've been to jazz band competitions where judges have ripped me apart for playing UNNEEDINGLY high. I have been told that "high fast and loud is not exciting, precision is exciting" I mean sure if you can play a triple D that is way cool. But if you meet someone who can play with better style than you who only has a high G, they will seem more impressive and probably win an award over you. High notes aren't everything in the bigger picture. Don't get me wrong tho, try to keep expanding your range, but don't let that be your main focus, you are already way ahead of the game when it comes to the high stuff!

Keep it up!

If there is anything that I stated here that someone doesn't agree with or if it is just plain wrong. Let me know (be professional about it), because I want to learn more. Have a great day everyone!
trumpet1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to learn to play jazz well....improvs and chords (I'm trying to learn to play piano stuff from hear and chords are messing me up....I can play anything on the trumpet after hearing it once...I'm improving on piano though) and I need to get a couple of lessons in...I'm gonna be principle of like, one of the top bands in the state next year! (YESSSSSSS.......)
ByroTrumpet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah man, you got the right idea! not many lead players can improvise well (i'm one of those cats)! playing the piano will really help your ears and will get you familiar with the chords. one of my friends who was a trombone player in the top jazz ensemble at high school got to play piano in jazz 2 and he improvizes very well. So that will definately help!

If there is anything that I stated here that someone doesn't agree with or if it is just plain wrong. Let me know (be professional about it), because I want to learn more. Have a great day everyone!
trumpet1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an update....I used a 1C mouth piece and hit Triple E....heh heh heh...3C dot me to Triple D...maybe it was just a good night to squeal...

but I got up there with EASE!!!! I didn't even have that funny light-headedness and dizziness like I had on the 3C...;D

oh yeah!

The trumpet isn't spinning
The world is just revolving around it
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet1,

three things:

1) listen to nick. he's right. faster air is where range comes from.

2) even if your horn is a school-owned beater, you'll get more out it if you take it home and give it a good bath in the tub with dish detergent and really clean out the leadpipe with a snake or, even better, a product called "the brush." it's a piece of stiff, twisted wire with an arrow-shaped brush at one end and it's made especially for leadpipes. you can get one at a good music store for around $10.

3) the fact that your mouthpiece is crimped at the receiver end is hurting you big time. i recommend you go to take it to a music store with a repair department, ask if you can talk to whoever does the repairs, and when the guy with the apron comes out, show him the piece, give him your biggest smile, and ask if he'll just do a little work on it with his arbor. be sure you use the word "arbor." this is a double-ended, finely machined steel tool that is used to get mouthpieces back into round. my guess is he'll appreciate the fact that you know something about his craft and do it for you for free. (it'll only take 60 seconds). don't leave the piece with the clerk at the cash register. they usually don't know anything about repair and will just charge you the $25 minimum or whatever. also, remember to pick up a mouthpiece brush if you don't already have one. these only cost a couple of bucks and will also help your playing.

good luck!

jim

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jim, appreciate the nod, but I just wanted to clarify a bit.... the point I was making here had to do with the use of pressure, or the lack of. For additional information, or a more well rounded view about how things work, please see the 'Air speed and Pitch' thread in the debating forum. The information here is good, just not complete.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick. thanks. good tip. best. jim.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
trumpet1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got new mouthpieces, 1 1/2C and 1C...no more messed up 3C....

The trumpet isn't spinning
The world is just revolving around it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: