• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Caruso routine question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rudas1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to do the Caruso routines every OTHER day and still recieve all of the benefits? I'm finding with my playing schedule that its difficult to stay loose playing this routine everyday.

Any comments are appreciated.

todd
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd,

The short answer is yes, I think there is no problem doing Caruso every other day.

I'm not sure that there is a particular magic number of hours that separate practicing that will contribute the most to everyone's progress. If there is, I don't know what that number might be. Generally people think in terms of 24 hours as the normal spacing.

I think having a definite schedule is what you should be striving for: a definite routine. If you set up that schedule (routine) to revolve around 48 hours, then go with it.

I'll bet that 24 hours will be better for some while others will benefit more from a 48 hour spacing.

[ This Message was edited by: bugleboy on 2002-06-11 22:37 ]
rudas1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, Charles. Helpful as always.

Thinking of a 48 hour span is an interested idea. My actual concern was getting too dependent on the Caruso routines(as part of my warm-up) for my chops to feel a particular way. If I absolutely have to, I would like to be able to get my chops going in a very short period of time. Does this make sense?

Thanks for your advice-

Todd
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My warm up used to be:
Six Notes
2nds
A couple of minutes of lip slurs low and high, stuff I made up.

Now I do 2-3 minutes of leadpipe long tones prior to the Six Notes. I can't say enough about the leadpipe long tones. I especially like to be able to slot the pitch at about concert D and then hold it. It is effortless on the chops and just about plays itself. I have experimented with people who have never played a note on a brass instrument and they can also do it easily.
rudas1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think the leadpipe buzzing is excellent for getting in touch with a very relaxed throat, and embouchure. I've been incorporating it lately with good results, it seems to be a good balance for the Caruso routines. Thanks for mentioning that!

Rudas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: