• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Breathing Injuries?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halfnote

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All -
I'm a relative new comer to the Claude Gordon approach, but the limited exposure I've had to it has taken my playing to limits I once thought unreachable. My question, however, is thus: Did Mr. Gordon ever address the issue of hernias? If so, what'd he say? If not, can anyone else? I ask because, well, I incurred such an injury a few years back while first being exposed to what I now know to be, Claude Gordon-type exercises. After my injury, and subsequent repair, I had to lay off the horn for about two months and ever since I've been more of a part time player. I'm now playing more and looking to "get back in the game" full time, but would obviously like to avoid further damage if possible. Sorry for the sob-story, but any insight on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Eli Lewis.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-06-14 23:16, Halfnote wrote:
Hello All -
I'm a relative new comer to the Claude Gordon approach, but the limited exposure I've had to it has taken my playing to limits I once thought unreachable. My question, however, is thus: Did Mr. Gordon ever address the issue of hernias? If so, what'd he say? If not, can anyone else? I ask because, well, I incurred such an injury a few years back while first being exposed to what I now know to be, Claude Gordon-type exercises. After my injury, and subsequent repair, I had to lay off the horn for about two months and ever since I've been more of a part time player. I'm now playing more and looking to "get back in the game" full time, but would obviously like to avoid further damage if possible. Sorry for the sob-story, but any insight on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Eli Lewis.

Hi there Eli,

I'm not sure if it was in his "7 Natural Elements of Brass Playing" video, or in one of his CG Method Teaching videos (a series of Videos he produced to teach students of his how to teach the CG Method to their students), but in one of these videos, Claude says that breathing and playing incorrectly can give a player a hernia, whereas nobody would get a hernia when keeping their chest up and breathing and blowing correctly.

Now, to add my own two cents to it:

There is nothing about the "Claude Gordon Approach" in and of itself that would make a hernia more likely.

But:

Even when you breath and play correctly, creating tremendous air pressure as one does when playing higher notes, does put strain on the lower abdomen. It's the same as when a Doctor has you cough to check you for hernias. There is no way to avoid this. If you over-strain and breath incorrectly (letting your chest drop and playing in a position of poor posture), you can exacerbate this and make a hernia more likely. But even if you play and breathe correctly, if you are predisposed to a hernia, playing high notes on a brass instrument is going to make one more likely.

I actually have hernias on both sides of my lower abdomen (on each side of where my legs meet my abdomen, together they form kind of a "V-Shape" perhaps a "Modified V-Shape? )

They are pretty much symptom free. I didn't even realize the first one existed. The first one (the one on the right side of my abdomen at the top of my right leg) was diagnosed by the Doctor giving me a medical check-up for my marriage license to my first wife back when I was only 20 years old (I'm 40 now). The doctor told me it was possible that I was born with this hernia. The other one (left side) I first noticed about 10 years ago. Whether trumpet playing or weight lifting while in High School contributed to these I don't really know. I haven't needed surgery or to wear any kind of "support device" as I have no pain except a very slight pain in the right one about every 2 or 3 years for a day or so.

So, given that I have hernias, and I play lots of high notes (up to Double C), and I play 2 to 6 hours a day (depending on my work schedule - my normal Practice Routine is about 2 1/2 hours itself), I can say that my playing doesn't seem to be contributing to the growth or worsening of these 20+ year old hernias - and I breath, play and practice exercises from the "Claude Gordon Method" in the way that Claude taught me too.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Hillbilly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh John,
Ya got me a little concerned after reading your post. Those little problems that you have can become big enough to sit on literaly. I saw a picture of a guy in some place overseas that let his go and his nuts where big enough to sit on and he was! I would hate for this to happen to you! If it did I don't think the Hunch Back would have anything on you.
trptmaster
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Pain No Gain. No one ever said breathing was gonna be easy!

In peace,

trptmaster
Hillbilly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, yea they did. One thing for sure.......never mind.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-02 20:08, Hillbilly wrote:
Uh John,
Ya got me a little concerned after reading your post. Those little problems that you have can become big enough to sit on literaly. I saw a picture of a guy in some place overseas that let his go and his nuts where big enough to sit on and he was! I would hate for this to happen to you! If it did I don't think the Hunch Back would have anything on you.

Ha Ha,

Actually, since mine are in front of my lower abdomen (not all the way down by my crotch), I don't think I'd end up like that unfortunate overseas soul you mentioned in your post.

As for the "Hunch Back" comment, well, I guess if mine got suddenly worse, they could produce a sequel called, "The Hunchfront of..." After all, Disney loves to make sequels...

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: