• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Who did Mendez's father study with?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blancolate
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Who did Mendez's father study with? Reply with quote

A friend of mine was telling me that his father studied with some well known French teacher in Mexico. Anyone know anything about this?
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe others know more about Maximino (Rafael's father) than I do, but he did study with a French musician who taught him solfeggio and several instruments. His favorite instrument was the mandolin. I do not know the name of this teacher.

After Rafael was making a good living playing in various music theaters in Detroit, he purchased a Gibson mandolin for his father. This instrument, which is now in the Rafael Mendez Library, was considered to be the Rolls Royce of its day.

DH
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dave,

Its funny that you should mention a Gibson mandolin because I was up real late a few night ago watching the "Antiques Roadshow" when a guy turned up with one.

The appraiser went absolutley nuts over the instrument and valued it at over 20,000 dollars.

If the guy sells it, he just might have enough for a down payment on a Monette "Raja"...........

Chris
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

I really don't know what the value of the one we have is. Bob Mendez told me a story once that a friend of the Mendez family was over for dinner one night. He owned a large music store in LA back then. Mendez had the mandolin because his father had passed away a few years prior.

Anyway, the man noticed it sitting in Rafael's home studio. He seemed to be quite surprised to see one in such good condition and said that it was worth quite a bit. Rafael had paid $800 for it new, so some 70 years later?? Who knows.

I should do some investigating. I can't imagine that it is worth as much as $20K, but that would be nice!

DH
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: