• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tounge arch and air speed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pops,

If you bunch the tounge up, as in your exanple, the more you introduce resistive and frictional effects which will cause rapid loss of air energy. (it will not increase it) BUT it is of short duration and can easily be made up by an increase of pressure from the abdomen.

But then efficiency is not helped.

But if one belts out a double C at fff using this I doubt I would rag him over efficiency. (Even thoug I think efficient playing IS important)

Either way, sufficient energy to play the note will have to be supplied.

If you believe that the increased air-speed will increase the energy you are mistaken becase you are also decreasing the air mass available proportionally.

Now if your system of "forward touge" is an aid in tensioning the embouchure alone I might buy into it.

All along you have been using the term "arch" when in effect you are making a tounge "funnel". But I won't hold that against you.

DJ
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee said:

Quote:

"Yes the velocity will be greater but the overall energy will be less in an arched tongue practicioner.
"

I assumed Lee C was using resistive effects because he always includes them in his his context when speaking of air flow over the arch.

Yes, it would be more correct for his statement to say "equal to" rather than "less than" so that he and I and NASA made the same assumptions, namely, no losses due to resistive effects.

Good catch!

The NASA site does exclude resistive effects, which is really not bad form on a theoretical discussion of that style. It helps emphasize the basics.

Pops wrote:
Quote:

You backed me up here. Even by your link and post that says at worst the increased speed would have the SAME energy.

Yes, YES, YES,

Quote:

So is there really something wrong with having the SAME energy at a faster speed?

No, not at all, other than a slight drop in efficiency, because resistive effects are proportional to speed.

But if you need more energy get it from the abdominals!

Pops, Don't leave here dissagreeing with NASA please. Dissagreeing with me? I can deal with that. But dissagreeing with NASA? That bothers me some.

DJ
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pops wrote:

I have actually never used the tongue as a valve. Nor did any of my teachers. I have seen it done but IT seems more problematic to me than the tongue arch issue.

This valve usage is the reason arch isn't useful to you. But you are the exception rather than the rule here.

Now I'm confused. It's always been my understanding that traditional trumpet pedagogy (as in Schlossberg, Clarke, Mendez, etc.) teaches using the tongue as a valve: something that pulses the air stream or acts as a valve to stop and/or release the air ... basically a tool of articulation. But not as a means to bring the embouchure into focus for vibration.
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:

Hey Charles, you should re-post that text you wrote about the muscular link between embouchure and the tounge here!

"Since we all seem to agree (I think) that the lips MUST undergo a change of some nature (this should be another topic, i.e., exactly what kind of changes occur in the lips, if in fact there ARE changes) in order to allow for a rise in pitch, it would seem more reasonable to me that the focus should be on the muscles that would most directly influence this change in the lips, namely the facial muscles. So my position would remain as it always has, that the assumed changes that occur in the lips that cause the pitch to increase are directly a result of facial muscle flexing. The tongue, due to the fact that it is interconnected by muscle tissue, reacts to this flexing and most assuredly changes its shape and position. But this tongue movement is a reaction and not a cause. And as I have said in the past (old forum), the tongue is just along for the ride."
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbacon wrote:
For a more commercial sound I'll notice the front of the tongue being arched up a bit. I try for a relaxed tongue position, especially towards the back so the air's not blocked. Let the sound determine the tongue position. Think a little more projection, maybe a little brighter and the tongue seems to know what to do.

Sound. I'm only talking about the sound. And not blocking the air flow with the tongue.

When I'm playing in a commercial setting, or practicing that sound I notice the front of the tongue being arched up some.

The sound you want determines what the body does.
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbacon wrote:

The sound you want determines what the body does.

And sometimes just a little extra pressure, twisting, sliding, pivoting can all help the body out to get that sound.

Making the end your goal will justify the means.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The goal is to sound great.
JoeCool
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what happens if I eat a ton of chips and salsa the night before and then the next morning my tongue feels all thick and fuzzy, will this affect tongue arch??!!
dnlrsnbm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Dan Rosenboom here. In my opinion, people think about tongue placement too much. My teacher in college, James Thompson, had a very good philospohy about this (applicable to most aspects of physical technique): "Don't think so much about what your body, face, mouth, lips, tongue, etc. are doing...just playing with an open beautiful tone in the center of the pitch at all times. You have time, even in fast passages, to place every not in the center. Always come back to the sound...don't worry about how it feels, just listen to the sound. If you are playing with a beautiful sound in the center of the pitch, you are playing correctly." (Paraphrasing).

All the best,
Dan Rosenboom
dnlrsnbm@hotmail.com
www.danielrosenboom.com (Coming Soon!)
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dnlrsnbm wrote:
Hi,
Dan Rosenboom here. In my opinion, people think about tongue placement too much. My teacher in college, James Thompson, had a very good philospohy about this (applicable to most aspects of physical technique): "Don't think so much about what your body, face, mouth, lips, tongue, etc. are doing...just playing with an open beautiful tone in the center of the pitch at all times. You have time, even in fast passages, to place every not in the center. Always come back to the sound...don't worry about how it feels, just listen to the sound. If you are playing with a beautiful sound in the center of the pitch, you are playing correctly." (Paraphrasing).

All the best,
Dan Rosenboom
dnlrsnbm@hotmail.com
www.danielrosenboom.com (Coming Soon!)

Right on. If it sounds good, it is good. If it does not sound good, keep working on making a better sound. Play in the center of each sound, go from the center of one note right to the center of the next.

Or just sound like Phil Smith!
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbacon wrote:
The goal is to sound great.

If the goal is to sound great no matter what means are used to achieve that goal, then the door is open to integrate pressure, twisting, sliding, pivoting, jaw movement, etc., (all destructive devices that can assist in the production of a great sound) into the embouchure. If these devices become prominent in the playing modus operendi the stage is set for their crippling effect to surface.

This occurs often when a player needs to improve range. Sometimes it's the need for more endurance. Also players who seem to be going along great for years, and then find their playing inexpicably falling apart.

Watch players as they ascend from a low note. This is where it all shows. See if the mpc slides more to one side or another from the start setting. See if the valves start to rotate ... or the horn pivots. These are all signs.

Some players have just enough muscular development to (sort of) deal with it or don't have demands in their playing that will matter and the external devices never become destructive.
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. It does seem to me, (as Pops says in different words) that the effect of a raised tongue is more pronounced on an embouchure that does NOT roll in. I can vouch for that.

I play two different embouchures, the newer one being a significantly rolled in one while the older one is more pooched out. Only on the more outwardly puckered chops does the raised tongue have any effect at all. And the only effect I can obtain there with a raised tongue/constriction is to acheive a quicker or more efficient interval jump. Especially the lip slur.

These observations tend to make me draw more proof that what i said in an earlier post is accurate. That is that a tongue arch is more likely to be effective in a less tightly compressed embouchure. But once at or above a High C or so the arch is pretty much useless as the chops are tightly closed.

In a rolled in embouchure the very nature of increased air pressure tends to push the lips closer together. When they get bunched together the resistance increases and makes the lips less responsive to tongue movement. So a tongue arch appears to have no effect on interval movement in these rolled in chop settings. Or so it seems to me.
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave and dnlrsnbm seem to be coming at this concept from a more aural point of view...allowing the body to match the sound, rather than hyperanalysis of physical attributes. As a player, that seems to be the most important thing. That is, after all, what we are after: our ideal sound and getting to match our concept with what's actually coming out of the bell.

As teachers, we need to be aware of what techniques produce which results, which explains (to me at least) Pops's and other more analytical approaches.

Very intersting to see and read different angles and how each of us approach essentially the same problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The better I understand not just what to do or how to do but even WHY something helps; then the better I can guide a student into something that helps them.

I am not openly analytical with a student. They don't need to know the process I went through to guide them.

BUT this is a TOTALLY and completely WRITTEN medium.

There is NO way to lead by example HERE. And so to me explaining things is the ONLY thing that makes sense (to me). I can't play an example for you. I can't show you. I can only explain.

In person everything is different. EXCEPT that those who like discussion know that I can do that too (from reading my webpage or a forum). So those who ask why do get some explanation.

(This has happened before online but not really on this thread. But talking about being analytical reminded me of this.)
I think it's funny that people who say things like; they don't believe that trumpet can be taught or that one should never think about it or explain it; even bother to read or post on a forum.

The things that they say shouldn't or can't be done is ALL that CAN be done here.
7,000 pages of free music. Trumpet Books, Skype Lessons: www.BbTrumpet.com
HiRangeKid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried on many occasions to raise my tongue to help in high note production but nothing seemed to work. If only clogged my air stream and made it even harder to relax and focus on the end result causing me stop all sound completely.

Maybe I was doing it all wrong. Some things work for others that wont work for you. If this was as easy to play as to thoerize what makes what easier we all would be Arturos and Bergerons.

Co-founder and enforcer of the term "slammer."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

If you arched your tongue and it stopped or hindered the sound, one of two things were happening:

1) You improperly arched your tongue up and back toward the back of the mouth. This causes the feeling of choking off the sound or "closing the throat" (which doesn't really happen as one cannot "close" their throat). Raising the tongue toward the back creates the same effect as pinching a garden hose a few inches before the end of it - the air velocity is slowed down as is the water in a garden hose.

Properly arching the tongue up and forward in the mouth (as in when saying "sea") speeds up the air velocity as does a nozzle on the end of a hose. And this is the secret to the upper register. It is impossible to play higher on a brass instrument without arching the tongue.

or:

2) You are arching correctly, but you've simply reached the highest notes you can play without generating more air pressure. At a given level of strength (Air Power), there is only so much tongue arch can do! For a player of average physical development, the player's highest full-volume note is usually around a D or Eb if they are playing correctly. After this the player can get a few notes higher in range, but at this point, since he cannot generate more air-pressure, the notes get softer.

Through doing the Part 1 exercises in Claude Gordon's "Systematic Approach" book properly, one can develop the Air Power necessary to reach the highest notes. And through doing the Part 2 exercises in the book as well as the supplemental material the book assigns, one can learn the "feel" of the high register gradually, in a systematic way.

Or, one can try the above for a few weeks, then impatiently move on to the next idea, then the next, then maybe write a post of frustration on the Herald, eliciting all kinds of responses and theories from uninformed players who might even know less then the original poster, followed by a spat of Internet Flame-Wars.

And that is why so few develop a good upper register. Developing the ability to play high notes is easy, if you practice correctly and stick with it. It can take some time, but if you practice correctly it's inevitable. Fortunately for players like me, few seem to do this. Even if they get on the right track, their impatience leads them right off the path again and back to the frustration of "trying this and trying that." But I hope you have the patience to stick with it and join those of us who did and have reaped the benefits. As Claude always said, there's plenty of room at the top, and there's plenty of room at the bottom. It's the middle that's overcrowded.

Best wishes to you all this Holiday Season,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, John Mohan hit the nail 100% ON THE HEAD!!

If I can, I will add just another thought....

What John describes is the traditional way of playing and is used by a huge majority of players now and ever before. It is the best way to get a more "open" (and I don't merely mean loud) sound from the trumpet. It is a more "orchestral" or "operatic" type of sound. This is the way I play and so do 99.999% of all "legit" (orchestrally trained players), even though some of them have develped excellent upper registers for big band playing.

Some players, on the other hand, have successfully developed a different kind of embouchure (Balanced Embouchure lip clamp, Superchops, Tongue Controlled Embouchure, etc.) which will assist greatly in the development of notes above high C. As some people pointed out earlier in this thread, these types of embouchure create much greater resistance at the lips and therefore need MUCH stronger air compression. Raising the tongue ANYWHERE will tend to impeed the flow of air. These systems need a very open oral cavity with the air being pushed hard from the gut. This can cause neck, lip, or cheek puffing quite frequently.....not necessarily a bad thing if controlled and built up gradually so that the neck and facial muscles can develop strength along with it. This type of embouchure does not sound as "orchestral" or "operatic" in my opinion (and I think I speak for most all symphonic players on this) in the lower, middle, and mid-high ranges of the trumpet....maybe up to high E or F, but the results above that can be astonishing.

A few top players have developed ways to play unbelievably well in ALL registers with the traditional embouchure and tongue arch method. However, it is somewhat rare to find players of this type that have really impressive high registers. On the other hand, players that have developed the highly resistant lips embouchures (no tongue arch) can usually scream all day long but do not sound all that beautiful in the middle and lower registers. (I know some flamers will pounce on this, but I think it is even MORE RARE to find someone of this type that has a truly impressive middle and low register "orchestral" sound when using these embouchures.)

I know that Arturo Sandoval incorporates both traditional and Tongue Controlled Embouchure in his playing. He plays with the traditional Claude Gordon-type approach until going above G (above high C), where he will seamlessly shift to the Callet-style method. Herbert Clarke played exactly the same way. Neither, however, use or used the same embouchure type and tongue position for all registers. They learned to switch effortlessly.

There seem to be several facts of life which are completely opposite, yet each is 100% correct and valid. For example:

Some people's belly buttons are "innies," and other people's are "outties."

Some people are left handed and some are right handed.

Some trumpet players place the mouthpiece more on the upper lip, and some place it more on the lower lip.

Some people prefer one embouchure/tongue arch method over another because they get better results (sound and range) for WHAT THEIR OWN PREFERENCES ARE. So what? It doesn't matter!

Dave Hickman

PS. I think that as long as both styles of embouchures are used, players will NEVER agree on which is best. They are simply different, each with its own advantages and disavantages.
mcamilleri
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post Dave.

Just a clarification about the Balanced Embouchure lip clamp. It is not an embouchure, it is merely a range-of-motion exercise used in the early stages of the method. Some BE players do modify it and use elements of it in normal playing, and some do not.

The Balanced Embouchure is not an embouchure 'type' like TCE, Superchops, Stevens, Farkas etc

Michael
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,

Thanks. I have read the book Jeff gave me and I am reading it again over the holiday break. I appreciate the clarification.

DH
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to beat up on Dave, who is afterall, only trying to make the world a nicer, friendlier place for all systems that truly work, but I need to jump in and address one point:

<<these types of embouchure create much greater resistance at the lips >>

Callet's "Tongue Controlled Embouchure" is devoted to decreasing resistance at the lips. It has been a godsend for so many players like me where previous systems of "lip controlled embouchures" or "arch assisted embouchures" weren't succeeding. Best regards, Kyle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: