• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tounge arch and air speed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Properly arching the tongue up and forward in the mouth (as in when saying "sea") speeds up the air velocity as does a nozzle on the end of a hose. And this is the secret to the upper register. It is impossible to play higher on a brass instrument without arching the tongue.

The air hose nozle analogy is really not what is happening and doe not apply.

And, I have found it quite possible to play very high without a pronounced arch especially with fresh chops. I find that the amount of tounge movement is really followed by how tightly the embouchure muscles are tensioning for ascending (see Charles' post). As a player develops he can acheive the correct embouchure setting with less embouchure muscular effort, and less tounge movement follows.

From my own experience I find that I use increasing arch as I play for a long time in the upper range. SO as the embouchure muscles are less fresh and begin to fatigue more muscular effort is required to support the embouchure and more tounge movements follow.

Only the required pressure of air need be applied to play the note, and increased tounge arch does not apply more pressure. It actually reduces the pressure available by a small amount.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<< Developing the ability to play high notes is easy, if you practice correctly and stick with it. It can take some time, but if you practice correctly it's inevitable.>>

John's point here is well worth remembering.

And many players find the front tongue arch to work very well for them.
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle:

I'm sure you are correct. Jerry gave me the new TCE book in Ft. Worth and offered to work with me to explain it fully. We tried to get a bit of free time together but didn't manage to do it. After reading the book several times, I tried the method and couldn't get it to work at all for me.

In my Trumpet Pedagogy class, I went over the method with seven of my more advanced students and asked each of them to try it for a week. Only one was able to make it work. He could play chromatically up with a good sound, and then switched to the TCE at about high D and went on up to a nice double C. After the applause by the class, he stated that he had never played that high before (by at least a fourth!). He appeared to be playing very effortlessly, too. We were impressed. So, after listening to the student explain how it felt to him and trying to give more insights into the method, everyone (including me) was excited to keep on trying. However, no one else seemed to make it work.

I'll keep trying!

DH
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

I really like what you do with your students (and yourself)! This is something other teachers really could learn from.

A question I have been asking myself is this:

Why did Clarke only call it a trick / stunt? (see part of his letter to Fred Elias below). Did he not like the sound he got in the lower register, or? I have heard from a student of Claude Gordon that Clarke at one time also showed this trick to Gordon.

Quote:
So you still want to increase your range of the cornet, especially at your age. Well, there is a trick I used to practice when traveling with Sousa, when my lips did not seem to respond after being up all night with local town bands and playing my usual solos the next day. You know the condition, eh? Well, by producing this “ Stunt” carefully, knowing just how to get each interval correctly from high “ C ” up, I have often reached two octaves above “ G ” in the top space of the scale… sometimes higher. This takes no strength, power nor strain. It is so simple that one is astounded at the results. Of course one must have a good embouchure and control of the lip muscles. It is difficult to explain but easy to demonstrate and is scientific. When you form your lips to produce the above “ G “ just touch your tongue very slightly to your bottom lip, the tip, which throws the tip of the lower lip up towards the tip of the upper lip using much power. The tone is produced to the inside of upper mouthpiece at an angle of 45 degrees instead of blowing straight into the throat of the mouthpiece as one does in playing the cornet.

Jerry, Kyle, Bahb and a few others seem to use TCE in all registers with good result. Others I know of (that use TCE), seem to use it only as a high note help.

Ole
Pops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oj wrote:
Dave,

I really like what you do with your students (and yourself)! This is something other teachers really could learn from.

A question I have been asking myself is this:

Why did Clarke only call it a trick / stunt? (see part of his letter to Fred Elias below). Did he not like the sound he got in the lower register, or? I have heard from a student of Claude Gordon that Clarke at one time also showed this trick to Gordon.

Jerry, Kyle, Bahb and a few others seem to use TCE in all registers with good result. Others I know of (that use TCE), seem to use it only as a high note help.

Ole

Ole;

This is going to mirror Mr. Hickman but oppose what some others see. There is a reason for this.

Mr. H was using his advanced students and they are already proficient players. They will not and can not let something affect their sound.
I have a similar studio. Most of the people I see play for a living and any change in sound has to make it bigger and darker (the day they see me).
They can NOT backtrack even 1 day. Most have a gig the next day and sometimes they even have one the same night.
As I told a symphonic player (with you I have to draw a line that we won't cross because you need to sound like you tomorrow.)
(So it is different from comeback players who can and will make sacrifices in sound and technique for weeks or months. This is why you don't see pros supporting the newer embouchure systems. They will have to have been brought up on them.)
Plus people who play 6-10 hours a day have some real lip muscle. (As opposed to typical comeback players.)

So I have to base my opinions on a different set of conditions than some have. I can only base MY opinion on MY experiences. YMMV as they say.

For me I don't get the sound I want in either the mid or low register. I can get some great high notes but I didn't want to use it full time.
(I don't use it for my own playing.)

I like Dave have showed it to many people. I have not yet had anyone who wanted to use it through the entire range of the horn, but about 20% or so like to use it High C and above.

I have long suspected that a lot of muscle strength worked against this action (in the lower registers). Jerry opposes isometric exercises and says strength isn't needed. The same thing prevents many people from being able to switch to a curled in embouchure like the Stevens.
I wrote this in A-Z years ago.
Quote:
The curl fights the air stream. The air is forced to blow the lips outward in order to escape. This creates a great deal of resistance with almost no physical stress. You merely put the lips in the way and let the air stream do the work. It is very hard to retrain yourself. Years of using way too much compression and mouthpiece pressure are hard to overcome. When you use a lip curl you must RELAX the face or the air will be bottled up and your sound will be bad.

I go on later to talk about strength as well.

The problem you are seeing is that YEARS and YEARS of habits AND build up of muscle go AGAINST closing the aperture too much.

Yes I always have been in favor of a closed aperture vs. an open one. But you need to know that because of prior training people have to stop at different levels. You will also remember that I often post about RELAXING the face, backing off the pressure, letting the air out........

Knowing your target audience is important.

"Mixing embouchure components is sometimes like mixing sand and water; you get mud."

WE need to realize that because of physical differences, prior training, and building different muscles at different angles, different desires and needs.... Not everyone will or can use the same approach to playing.

Some are too tense and need lip bending and relaxing exercises, some are too loose and need to practice soft and do isometrics, some are unfocused and need lots of mouthpiece training.
(This is why one person will say abc is the best system but another will say no I tried it and def is the best..... we can keep going here.)

There is a place for every system and each will be the best for a certain person because of the circumstances they have to deal with.

Every student is a different person and we do better when that is remembered.
7,000 pages of free music. Trumpet Books, Skype Lessons: www.BbTrumpet.com
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pops,

There are some very smart posters on TH, and you are certainly one of them! Thanks for this last post. It helps me understand why me and my students have trouble with new ideas. Even though we sincerely give them a shot, our brain and muscles are trained to work against them. No wonder they don't work quickly! (And, of course, anyone that has ever gone through some sort of embouchure "overhaul" will know how long and difficult the new road can be for awhile.)

As for the question about Clarke only using TCE as a high note "trick," I cannot say. He was self taught, so we may never know where he learned this. Also, he does not mention this in any of his books.

I know that this thread is beginning to stray, but it is all very important to understand. (NOTE TO MONITORS: Please don't move anything!)

DH
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're straying, I find it interesting that only fairly recently am I coupling "closed" with "relaxed"... That is, realizing that a closed aperture, at least starting out, doesn't always imply "tense" or "tight" chops. Nor "pinched" sound... Somewhat a revelation.

YMMV - Don
ustacouldplay
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pops,

That was one of the best posts I've ever read on the internet regarding any topic. Thanks for posting it.
Pops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mr. H;

I admire your work and have enjoyed hearing you and your students.

You understand exactly what I meant. I don't have to play so I can experiment with myself much more than you can. (It used to scare me sometimes but I can switch back to myself easily now.)

Don;
Thanks for sharing that.
I have done the closed aperture for so long that the 2 things (closed and relaxed) go hand in hand.

You can also think of closed as touching.
You can just barely touch (so gently that the force couldn't be measured) or you could squeeze it shut (pounds and pounds of pressure). Of course one of those would sound tense and be hard to control.

For me the lips are just like they are at rest. I just add a very slight firmness at the cheeks and blow air. That starts my buzz and is how I play.
Others will of course feel differently.
7,000 pages of free music. Trumpet Books, Skype Lessons: www.BbTrumpet.com
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exceptional, Pops!!

Some of the best material ever done on the Herald!!!!!

Thanks for getting us to think about this a bit differently!
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very nice to see such an open discussion about varied teaching techniques without rancor. As Pops and Dave point out, different things do work differently for different people. And the brass world as we know it, won't end by giving some alternatives a try. Just a couple very brief points, as this is not the forum to discuss Jerry Callet's methods in any detail. First, the overwhelming majority of players I've run into at the Callet studio are professional players, not comeback players. It may be helpful to note that contemporary systems such as BE and TCE recognize that real players have to go on making a living. So, they've developed training techniques that allow players to "move over" while not upsetting the apple cart.

Secondly, I've never met a serious TCE student that used it for just the upper register. And, I've never met a serious TCE student that didn't greatly improve their tone and intonation throughout their range. However, I've run into a number of players and teachers with limited exposure to TCE who have used only bits and pieces - usually misunderstood bits and pieces. As to be expected, these results were spotty at best.

Dave, though I know of several students who have attained almost instantaneous results from SC and TCE, they certainly are the exception. It's probably safe to guess that your one overachiever was already using a good bit of TCE and just needed some tweaking. Most of us need considerable time to build the new tongue strength and coordination that TCE requires. That is why it's recommended to build TCE from the bottom up.

Lastly, someone suggested that the primary reason professional players don't experiment with varied pedagogies is that they have to keep on earning a living and can't risk messing with that. While there is no doubt truth to that, I think there are two other reasons that may be more significant. First, a lot of tpt pros are pros because tradititional techniques did work at least reasonably well for them. For that reason, they were able to move ahead of less "lucky" players. The obvious response, though not necessarily always the best, is why mess with a good thing? Additionally, in my experience, professional players often feel they've accomplished about as much as their talents or natural abilities allow. Sure, they all know of other pros that display much greater abilities while practicing less, but they ascribe that to luck of the draw. Fellow trumpeters, most of whom are in the same boat, discourage them from taking a bold step into uncharted territory even if it's obvious that something more should be done. I think we all know of pros that sweat bullets trying to maintain their level while refusing to give anything new a try (other than a new mouthpiece, of course!) While there is no substitute for intense practice, there is still a lot that can be learned by teachers, pros players, and students alike. I think polite discussions like this can truly open new territory. IMHO, Kyle
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle:

Good words!

Regardless of embouchure development systems, people should realize that to be a really GREAT player it just plain takes tons of time and practice. I know, and have known many of the greats and I can say without any doubt that they all practiced much harder than most professionals out there.

People always marvel at the amazing talents of Andre, Vizzutti, Hardenberger, Herseth, Mendez, Severinsen, etc. and chalk it up to some sort of genius they possess. While they certainly have a mind to be musically creative, most of the techniques of playing the trumpet and most music they will have ever learned is through sheer sweat. Some of these players went through extradordinary pains to get where they are, including embouchure accidents which left them being unable to play for months.

Statistics show that most millionaires that go bankrupt end up becoming millionaires again. This, I'm sure, is because of personal ambition, work ethic, and a never die attitude as much as it is the creative gene they MIGHT possess. Interviews with Andre, Bud, or Doc state that they continue to practice more than anyone else they know....even at retirement age!

I bring this up because you mentioned how many pros feel that they have topped out and stop trying to develop their embouchures, thinking that that is all they can get out of their chops. While this is true, I serious doubt that many have actually reached their potential. Obviously, the better one becomes, the more difficult it is to improve. But, the lack of further work should not rationalize a need to change embouchure systems in hopes that a magic cure will be around the corner. I'm sure you agree.

It's bedtime. Time to get off of my soap box!

Dave Hickman
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda agree with your thoughts Dave suggesting doubt about how maxed out a proficient players chops can be. Every time I look at a video of my own regular embouchure (which is a version similar to the Maggio System) I always get the feeling that I'd have a stronger upper register if i simply just practiced more.

But along the lines of Pop's post:

The failure of the Stevens System in so many players results from physical factors related to both the rolled in chops and the forward jaw position.

Under the above described set up (a major part of the Stevens-Costello "Triple C Embouchure Technique") it is hard for a lot of players to get much resonance. At least on common, standard trumpet mouthpieces anyway. This is probably due to the physical resonance quality variants of the human lip (texture of the vibrating surface). I can't prove this but it seems reasonable to me.

Anyway, if you experiment on a significantly rolled in embouchure you might be able to radically increase the inner rim dimension of a trumpet mouthpiece in order to get enough resonance and still blow some EXTREMELY high notes.

The effective increase in embouchure "leverage" into the upper register on the Stevens System and other rolled in methods is so great that it's possible to blow some fairly impressive sounding double C's even on a trombone mouthpiece.

I am very serious about that last statement.
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, My standard is "continuous, steady progress". With serious, well-directed regular practice everyone should see continuous, steady progress in range, endurance, power, tone, intonation, and technique. Sure, there will be some ups and downs, but the ups should clearly outweigh the downs. And, the overall line should definitely be ever upward. It's pretty easy by ear to tell where a player is and where their current setup is likely to take them. These are the guidelines I use in determining how much we can rely on the player's current foundation vs how strongly we need to consider a different longterm one. Best regards, Kyle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: