• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Simple Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiwiman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Simple Question Reply with quote

Is it worth seeking a career as a professional trumpet player?

In my case it will cost me about US$5000-6000 dollars a year for three years (including accomodation) to study at the best Jazz University in New Zealand. That would lead me with a student depbt of around US$15,000, to get a job where you arent getting costant day time work, instead working in pubs and bars once a night for at the very best for a few hundred dollars a week.

It seems to me id be better of getting a career in something thats gonna bring in the money but play my trumpet and pub gigs for extra money to do what i enjoy most, playing trumpet.
nextbrassguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice FWIW:
1. Regardless of the decision you ultimately make, practice all you can.
2. Talk to and more importantly play for a professional or several professionals in your area, people you trust who can say something intelligent about where you are right now musically, the amount of effort it will take to get where you want to be, and how much money you might expect to make once you do get there.
3. Don't wait three years to start meeting people and trying to join existing jazz ensembles in your area and getting gigs. Who knows? You might be able to offset some of the expense of your training while it's going on rather than waiting til you're done. And like everything else in life, the experience and contacts can't hurt.
mcamilleri
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kiwiman,

I live in Wellington, home of the Massey Jazz course. I'm an amateur player, born decades before the first Jass courses came to NZ.

I know some of the recent graduates from the Jazz course. Lex French (tr), Michael Taylor (tr), Adam Melville (sax). Don't know if you have met or heard them. Lex is a monster trumpet player, and great jazz player. Not sure if he has headed for the states yet. Michael Taylor is in the same league. Adam took off to New York a while ago - not convinced he will make it.

Your best bet is to link up with guys like this and find out what they are doing. Older guys making a living out of trumpet or music are guys like Vaughan Roberts (runs the Vaughan Roberts band), Kevin Clark, and the like. They are tutors on that course, and do a variety of teaching and playing jobs.

If you are a really hot player now for your age, you stand a chance. The Jazz course generally does not make great players out of average ones.

Your assessment of the possibilities in NZ is spot on. When Vaughan formed his big band a while ago, he had the choice of about 15 top pro and semi-pro trumpet players (NZSO, tutors at tech and uni etc). I would have been (optimistically) maybe 16 on the list, and didn't stand a chance. There are only a handful of trumpet players making a living mainly from playing. Most play and teach. More teach and occasionally play.

Get a realistic assessment of your ability. Hook up with Vaughan Roberts or Kevin Clark. They are both great guys, musicians and teachers. Vaughan taught in the US for some years (taught Norah Jones of all people...). Have a lesson and a chin wag - they'll tell you if you have got what it takes.

Great talent has a way of rising to the top. If you know you have it, go for it.

If you need a few contacts, just ask.

Michael
davidk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Simple Question Reply with quote

Kiwiman wrote:
Is it worth seeking a career as a professional trumpet player?

It depends on the kind of life you want to lead, to be honest.

It seems to me id be better of getting a career in something thats gonna bring in the money but play my trumpet and pub gigs for extra money to do what i enjoy most, playing trumpet.

Making a living in the music business is rough no matter where you live or which genre you're interested in. It's rare to find a musician who makes the kind of money they want/need who is not married to a non-musician or doesn't have a "day job". Even if you're a great player, the math isn't good- there are many great players, but not enough work to support everyone. I've been making a living off of music since 2000, and if you want to talk more about it, email me.

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: