• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Breaking THE worst habit

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
screamertrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,

That's a great analogy. I'll have to try that when I practice.

Thanks,
Trevor
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Goldenchops55
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quad C,
I got Science of breath today, and I have couple of questions. First of all, should I read through the whole book or just the part by Swami Rama? What excersises do you recommend to help breath control development?
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-10-01 18:35 ]
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-06-24 14:10, screamertrumpet wrote:
Mr. Turner,

1. My tone in the middle and lower register are great . . .
2. I can a great amount of pedal notes (I can go somewhere around triple pedal c with EVERY note in between) . . .
3. . . .once last year, I thought I should give up trumpet after the failure of hitting some high notes (D's and E's) because it had become "too hard." . . .but when one should worry in performance about if their chops are going to make it through because of lack of proper energy usage and air speed, that has become ridiculous and tougher than it should be . . .

Thanks for your replies,
Trevor

Hi Trevor,

PLEASE get Jeff Smiley's book. With it you'll get a CD of actual students of his (from ages 13-17 I believe) actually demonstrating his exercises. You owe it to yourself to be able to get the range you are needing.

I took liberty to number several parts of your last response to answer. Here goes:

1. There are three kinds of good trumpet players: The Tone Player, The Technician and The High Note Player. To be great you'll need to work on all three.

All players of limited range who focus on getting the best sound consider their tone is superior . . . and it usually is amongst their counterparts. BTW, I am a "Tone Player" too and for years this was my only strength so you are not alone!!!

2. BIG PETAL TONES
Playing wonderful low petal notes is great if you are planning on being a super third part player during the upcoming year . . . but that's not what you will be called upon to do . . . or what you desire to do. Your huge mouthpiece allows you easy petals but at the expense of sure high notes and great endurance.

3. RANGE AND ENDURANCE
Logic would suggest that you seek to focus the CENTER of your tonal range up into a higher area. That big ol' mouthpiece of yours is a great shortcut to a big, gorgeous sound . . . but you are simply accentuating your strength on that big ol' "piece" at the expense of range and endurance . . . not the best choice of equipment for one who needs to hit the high notes.

With a proper closed embouchere setting and a smaller, more efficient mouthpiece, one can achieve a full, rich sound as before but on a mouthpiece that will also give them a surer upper register and with less work . . . and greater endurance.

My mouthpieces run from a pre-closed embouchere change HUGE Warburton (special order) 2DD with an obscenely deep cup to my current trumpet mouthpieces . . . a Warburton 8M (like a Bach 12) and a NorthernBrass **** (like a Bach 10 1/2 or a Callet 10). I can play just as high on all of 'em but the smaller mouthpieces are a better "fit" for most jobs I play. My tone is big and full on even the small ones.

My son, who will be a senior in high school next fall, also made the switch in the spring of 2001 to a closed embouchere setting. He went from a strained high D to a range of a Double C within two months! His mouthpiece? A NorthernBrass ***

His band director has written next fall's show to feature Russell's range, with one piece ending on a double high B!

Bruce Lee, of NorthernBrass.com would be an excellent source of mouthpiece advice and can help you greatly in finding the perfect mouthpiece to help you accomplish your dreams most efficiently. Bruce is also a dealer for Jeff Smiley's breakthrough book.

His e-mail address is: BruceLee@NorthernBrass.com

Invest a little in your future and contact Bruce . . . he's surely helped my son and I. Bruce is a wonderful trumpeter and good friend too. I can recommend him highly!

Sincerely,

Tom Turner
stickyvalves

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor,
Can you do a lip trill? I'd be willing to bet you can't. Try working with either the Colin or Irons book (this will take a lot of patient dedicated practice) and seeing if you can train yourself to do a proper lip trill (not a shake). Start around a top line "g" with a 1-3 valve combo.
You'll find that it is impossible to play "wrong" and make a nice relaxed lip trill. If you can learn to do these I guarantee great results in your playing. Be patient....Don't try and mess with mouthpieces or chops or some magic book or method..this will make things worse. I notice you're giving kind of daily updates...the kind of progress you want to make will take a long time..just hang in there!
Good luck!
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your lip setting/efficiency before ANYTHING else....if this is'nt right ALL the air on planet earth ain't gonna help ya! Your lips need to be focussed and close, which ANY double pedal work will not help if you get it wrong.

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
Goldenchops55
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screamertrumpet,
You are having trouble with range. Do you have any of the tasteebros books? Their concepts really helped me with my range. They focus mainly on air. I think Arnold Jacobs once said: "Playing is 90% air, 9%mental, and 1% chops."
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-10-01 18:36 ]
screamertrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I just got back from a lesson with my lead/jazz teacher. I talked to him about the problem I've been having (he's an avid Bill Adam student of a student). He stated:
Do not focus on the embouchure at all. He then quoted Bill Adam in saying, "The embouchure is the formation of proper breath." (I think that's how he said it)
When you breath right, everything should fall into place. Think about the breath and the sound only. Then said, "Float the sound on the breath."
He then said that when you get "tense" just think like you're yawning or producing warm air. I think I'll go try these methods and then get back to you on them.
No, I've never been able to do shakes/lip trills unless the front of my tongue is raised substantially. Then, I just raise and lower it. Then again, it only worked for notes under high C.
Yeah, I read an excerpt from the Tastee Bros page. It made a lot of sense but I haven't gotten their book.
Thanks,
Trevor
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-06-26 20:06, screamertrumpet wrote:
quoted Bill Adam in saying, "The embouchure is the formation of proper breath." (I think that's how he said it)
When you breath right, everything should fall into place. Think about the breath and the sound only. Then said, "Float the sound on the breath."

Good thoughts, to be sure! However, I would say that JUST playing with the right 'breath' is not going to help as much as it could if you were say, a new 5th grade trumpet player. You're right, everything should fall into place with the right air, but how many years have you spent practicing your trumpet, solidifying your non-air embouchure? There is some undoing that needs to be done.

I think you're doing the right things, practicing and seeking additional education and outlooks. I just wanted to post to give you that extra little bit of perspective. Hopefully it helps!!!!! Good luck!!
screamertrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Dyson,
Now that I think about it, I have no idea on how I'm supposed to play higher using this method. I understand the fundamentals of playing high, but how am I supposed to increase air speed if I can't put tension in my abs? You're right, I need to focus a little more on increasing air speed instead of worrying about this method right now. I think I'll go back to trying Roddy's closed aperture technique and doing more exercises out of Science of Breath, and then if worse comes to worse I'll order Jeff Smiley's book.
Thanks for the insight,
Trevor
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor,
No ab pressure? There's your problem. Your diaphram (actually, most of the muscles around the diaphram) is where ALL the work happens.

Think of it as space flight... you wanna visit the stratosphere, you're not going to get there with out the boosters (abs) burning up all that jet fuel (air).

There should be as little tension as humanly possible in your chest, neck, and everywhere else that isn't your abs and embouchure. However, I won't get into embouchure here, as there are a lot more knowledgeable on that subject...

I highly recommend going to http://www.monette.com and requesting a copy of their 'Mouthpiece Guide', not neccesarily for the mouthpieces (although they are worth their weight in gold!), but more for constructive ways to approach the instrument. Dave goes through different Hatha Yoga and Alexander Technique streams of thought, and applies them directly NOT to 'How to be a better trumpet player', but 'How to better communicate with your audience through playing your trumpet in the most effecient manner in order to acheive maximum resonance'.

I think everyone should read it, actually. It can't be a bad thing to put through your personal stream of consciousness.

I was up until the wee hours of the morning contemplating the merits of his thoughts and how it pertains to SuperChops. Pretty fruitless, I am in the beginning stages of learning SC. We'll see, should be interesting.
screamertrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Dyson,
Thanks for all your help. I actually know what to do and how to increase my range now. So, the only I can do now is practice.
Good luck with Super Chops. The marching band is going to Everette/Seattle in the fall. If you're playing then, I could probably bargain with my band conductor (he's a trumpet guy, too) to come and watch...
Thanks Mr. Dyson,
Trevor
histrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Trevor,
I have been kind of reading along and would like to say that air is important but chops are too. If you get a chance go to trumpet stuff.com and look at the pictures of Eric Miyashiro. For Eric it takes more than air and abs, this cat's got some chops!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: