• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

what shall I listen to?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RooTheHorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
Ive been listening to a Cannonball Aderly compilation called 'Deep Groove', and theres some tracks, (games, the sticks) which are based on the blues, and that trumpet man, he just blows some serious licks there man, mmm mmm, And er I was wondereing if people have any recommendations of their favourite stuff of that kind of style, that is, bluesy, but really funky small group stuff with those blastin' trumpet solos, that I should listen to.

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks, Roo

[ This Message was edited by: RooTheHorn on 2002-06-20 17:38 ]
Chadly
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there, I've been listenin like crazy lately and if there's one guy that I know you'll like it's Freddie Hubbard. Listen to as much of him as you can. He's the greatest!

Also check out Lee Morgan. He's another monster who plays some great blues solos.

HTH,
Chad
~iii<()
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dwm1129
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know know how funky it is but anything Clifford Brown did on blue note, he can really blow over some blues.
Cannon also did some stuff with his brother Nate on a cd I don't remember the name of it but it had Nardis on it, pretty cool, you would like it.
Also check out some Count Basie it isn't small group( most of it anyways) but they have the feel of one and they got groove your looking for.
GoldenBrass

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "trumpet man" was probably Cannonball's younger brother Nat (not Nate). I agree, he has a lot of sweet licks; I love to hear him play. Also he plays cornet not trumpet. I say it is probably him because he was featured on some of Cannoball's recordings and he wrore a tune entitled "Games". There are recordings out with Nat as a leader also. I have some on order right now I'm waiting for (one of which is with Freddie Hubbard; I REALLY can't wait to hear that one!)

[ This Message was edited by: GoldenBrass on 2002-06-22 11:01 ]
wolfitrp

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roo,
i recommend "Maiden Voyage" by Herbie Hancock (with Freddie) and Miles Davis "All Blues"
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-29 14:55 ]
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The suggestions here have been excellent, (but) the guy you Really need to listen to is Lee Morgan. His sides with Horus Silver are the classic merging of blues and jazz, with a tinge of southern flavor.
Pedro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gang,
Here's a name I don't often see mentioned here on the forum but DEFINITELY check out some early Donald Byrd! Some of the stuff he did with Dexter Gordon is killin'!
4Him
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is so important to "hear" the masters-- from an instrumental perspective. Don't you think it is also important to listen to some of the vocal giants-- from all genres? What's to be learned from Pavarotti, Billie Holiday, or Sting... What is it that they do musically that communicates to people... Then, can we get the "sound" in our head and produce it on our horns???

Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: