• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chadly
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guyz! I am leaving in just over a week to go spend a week learning how to improvise from Jamey Aebersold. I can't wait! When I come back I'll post my experience and some day I'll put everything that he said in an audio fomat up on a web site. I am taking a tape recorder and taping everything. Is anyone else going to this awsome workshop??? Anyone went??? What should I expect? I am so excited. I can't wait to learn all about jazz.

Chad
~iii<()
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chadly-

I'll see you there! I was a student at the Aebersold Workshops in the early '70s and since then have taught at most of them since 1976. You're going to have a blast!

Besides yours truly, the rest of the trumpet faculty will be: Jim Rotondi, Bob Symer, Ron McCurdy, Jim Ketch, Scott Wendholt, Steve Thomas, Dick Washburn, and Barry Ries.

Which week are you planning to attend?
Chadly
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey PH,

That's great that your an instructer. Maybe you can give me some real good pointers. I'm going the first week. I am riding down with a buddy of mine from Scottville MI who plays bass. I am extremely excited and can't wait to finally learn to improvise. I'm pretty much going there with a clean slate. I've never improvised outside of my bedroom with the CD's before so this is going to be a real experience. I can't wait to learn from you and all the other trumpet staff. See ya in two weeks.

Chad
~iii<()
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chadly
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from Louisville after a 9 hour drive. Long drive but boy was it worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jamey's camp is the best thing that has ever happened to me in my short musical experience. I now have a new look on music and jazz and I now have even more desire to practice. It was already pretty high to, just ask Michael and Lee if they remember the clinic, LOL.

They couldn't have set that camp up any better. You can definately tell that Jamey and his staff have been doing it for a long long time. Everything went smooth and it seemed like the camp went by so fast. Our schedules were booked from 7 in the am till midnight with thoery, ear training, combo practice, masterclasses, live concerts, and jam sessions.

There was about an hour of time we had free just before dinner that I spent playing basketball with Jamey, Ron McCurdy, Jim Ketch and some other ridiculously awsome jazzers/musicians.

The live concerts alone were worth the tuition for the camp. Guys like Jim Rotondi, Bob Symer, Ron McCurdy, Jim Ketch, Scott Wendholt, Steve Thomas, and Barry Ries were all trumpeters who were a real treat to listen too. And also Pat Harbison, our very own, also entertained us with some AMAZING solos.

I now have way more than a years worth of stuff to work on, but only a year before I go back to camp. Guess I better go practice.

If you want to learn the tools needed for learning to improvise, this camp is the place. They put you into a combo that is perfect. Everyone is at your level so you don't have to be afraid to make mistakes. You can take chances here and if you absorb everything from the camp you ride home with many years of jazz info. I don't think that any books, web pages, or videos can teach you what I learned at the camp.

Lastly, I want to thank Pat (PH) for placing me into the perfect combo and letting me get the most out of the camp.

P.S. Sorry Pat you didn't get to try out my horn. We never did end up seeing much of each other. Don't worry, I'll still have it next year, you can try it out then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: