• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cleaning with Vinegar.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
silverstar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:12 am    Post subject: Cleaning with Vinegar. Reply with quote

I was told by the local repair man that I should use vinegar to clean my horns with. He said that's what they use and it's better than a chem-flush.

Since I got a new horn and I don't want to screw it up, is this a safe method? Will the vinegar screw the valves up or any of the metal? Has anyone else used this method to clean their horn?

I hope this is in the right place....I wansn't really sure where to post this.

Thanks!

Lara

I may falter, I may fall, but I will get back up and keep at it. Fall down 7 times, get up 8.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that vinegar is overkill on a new trumpet. Here's what I do, clean it totally with Simple Green, using BrassSaver brushes; dry; oil the valves generously; grease the slides and then, swab the leadpipe two or three times per week and clean the mpc weekly, if not more often. For the outside, I use lukewarm water and soft paper towels to wipe of any water spots or smudges. If it's silver plate, then I apply 3M's Tarnishield once or twice per year.

That seems to keep the horn spotless. If you wash your hands routinely before playing and swab the front end regularly, the rest of the horn stays clean for months at a time. I only clean mine beyond the leadpipe once or twice per year and it's clean when I do that. I just to it for insurance.

Dave
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinegar is 5% acid. It is a great all around cleaner. Makes glass sparkle. Just make sure you get all of it out of the horn or your playing will smell like pickles!
Umyoguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinegar is only 5% acetic acid, as Billy mentioned.

I worked in a lab once and from time to time and we used 95% acetic acid. We had to use it in a hood, or else we'd burn out our eyes from the vapors.

Nasty stuff.

I love vinegar though - Especially balsalmic.

Uh...What were we talking about?

Jon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I clean it and give the outside a good polish, I use rubbing alcohol to keep the fingerprints gone. I've also heard of people using Windex.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mafields627 wrote:
After I clean it and give the outside a good polish, I use rubbing alcohol to keep the fingerprints gone. I've also heard of people using Windex.

Water work great.

Dave
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, maybe I'm just ignorant but I soak my horn in warm water with about a tablespoon of Dawn mixed in for an hour ever month and a half or so while swabbing my lead pipe at least every other day and oiling my valves every other day.

I have lacquered big horns that I usually just flail around after rinsing to get most of the water out/off, then let them air dry and lube up. For my silver picc it's the same except I use Wrights Silver Polish after it's lubed up. I don't know if that's a good polish for horns but it doesn't seem to hurt the finish. I think I'll get some 3M.

Where can I get the 3M? hehe

Thanks,
Aaron
cujazztrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive read that Chet Baker didn't clean his horn??
bigbrowncow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I would put vinegar in a trumpet. You could try this to decoke a really old instrument, as long as you washed it out carefully after. There are some old threads about doing a home chem-flush on really dirty horns.

For a trumpet in deent condition - soapy water, or swab it out with a bit of valve oil.

Steve
JohnL
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:29 am    Post subject: Vinegar Reply with quote

I use Dawn and lemon juice to clean my silver-plated horns. Works great and instruments "sparkle".
hha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked, vinegar here is 10 weight-% acid - everything isn't bigger in america after all!

Copper alloys like brass have good corrosion resistance, and monel (the stuff valves are often made of) has even better. So it should be safe, but I'd rinse the horn well afterwards. Though I tend to wash my trumpet often enough (with Reka cleaning set and brass soap, FYI) so that such stronger detergents aren't needed.

Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trombahonker wrote:
I think I'll get some 3M.

Where can I get the 3M? hehe

Target.
Jansu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I soak my valves and bottom valve caps in a half vinegar half water solution whenever I wash my trumpet. If you get that crusty green stuff on your bottom valve caps, the vinegar will eat it away. My valves change colour after the vinegar bath, because it is so efficient at getting all the dirt off. I hope its not peeling the metal!

For the rest of my horn, I put it in a bathtub and put some liquid dishwasher in the water and let it sit for a while. Then clean out the tubing with a snake. I brush my mouthpiece after playing and leadpipe at the end of the day. I have a Yamaha silver polish for the plating.
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use caution...do not soak the valves too long. I did this on my C, and the valvers feel like they are in goo, and there is some red-rot on the spring casings. I read on Lawler's site that prolonged acid exposure will cause that as it pulls the zinc out of the brass, so now I kick myself everytime I need to practice excerpts. Eventually, I will buy new valves...Santa didn't (he knew what I did).

There should be no need on a new horn to acid wash it. When it comes time, send it to a qualified repair person. If they break it, what better place for a horn to break than in a shop?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sirplayalot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother-in law used vinegar years ago to clean his Holton Student Cornet and most of the lacquer came off so I definately would not use vinegar on the lacquered parts of a horn. It may be okay for plated horns and valves but I suggest using Blue Juice on your valves cause it keeps them very clean. John
my lips & lungs

Yamaha 17C4 GP Mouthpiece
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lara,
You have a new trumpet so any type of vinegar or acid treatment is unnecessary. Mild dish washing soap and warm water will cut the oil and grease in your horn just as it does on pots and pans.

After returning home from a long rehearsal or performance, I pull the tuning slide and run water from the tap through it and the mouthpipe. This flushes away any saliva (acid) and I think this will give my trumpet a longer life.

Enjoy your new trumpet!
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
veum
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe someone else can confirm this, but I'd heard that prolonged exposure to vinegar could harm the solder joints in a horn, so perhaps soaking a horn in vinegar might not be such a hot idea. I have soaked some mouthpieces in straight white vinegar to get out some stubborn crud in the backbores (on the advice of a local repairman) and it's worked very well (I cleaned the mp's with soap and water afterwards).
silverstar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I won't use that method on my Xeno.

I think I will though on my marching horn (Conn 1050B).

I found a way to clean my leadpipe that is really nice. Get a clarinet swab and cut it down so that it will fit down the leadpipe. (You might want to cover the metal weight with something so it won't scratch the inside of the leadpipe.)

It works great and I think it will prevent redrot in my new horn.

Lara

I may falter, I may fall, but I will get back up and keep at it. Fall down 7 times, get up 8.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that you need to worry about the weight. I've been using one for years with no damage. Still, if you want to be extra, extra safe, a small about of medical adhesive tape would do the trick.

If you swab the leadpipe a few time each week (ideally every day, but at least weekly) and brush out the mpc once a week, the rest of the insides of the trumpet will stay nice and clean for several months at a time.

Dave
silverstar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know where I can get a mouthpeice brush? The stupid music stores around here don't carry them.

I swab it after everytime I play. I'm a bit paranoid since my intermediate horn got redrot. I don't want that to happen to my new baby.

Lara

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: