• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Claude Gordon and Embouchure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Devil
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Claude's approach to the embouchure was to let it develop naturally through consistent practice. I also know, based on what I have read, that if something was wrong initially with a student's setup, he would correct it. He said in "Brass Playing Is No Harder Than Deep Breathing" that he changed many students embouchures, all with great success.

I'm interested in finding out what Claude considered to be something that needed to be corrected. In general, what are some characteristics of embouchures that Claude felt needed changing, as opposed to ones that should be left alone to develop naturally?

I've heard recently from some of my fellow trumpet players, things like "You definitely need to keep the corners of your mouth more firm" - I look in the mirror, and my corners definitely look firm, and then I remember reading that Claude said don't use any smiling or stretching back of the lips technique, because that thins out the tone. So I think I'm doing that correctly. I've also heard "The bottom portion of your mouthpiece shouldn't be resting on the red part of your lower lip" - so I look in the mirror, and I notice that the bottom portion of my mouthpiece definitely rests right of the line between the red and white parts of my lower lip. I also remember reading that Claude advocated using 2/3 of the mouthpiece on the upper lip and 1/3 on the lower. Even though the lower portion of my mouthpiece rests on the red part of my lip, it appears that I'm using 2/3 upper and 1/3 lower (which is how I've always played), so I think I'm doing that corrrectly too.

I know it's hard to tell if someone is doing something wrong without seeing it, but just in general, I'm wondering what Claude felt is something that needed to be corrected, and what should be left to develop naturally.

Mike Trzesniak
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike;
The only thing that Claude was against was too low of an embochure; "in the red" of the top lip.
He never said anything to me about too high and my set is very high. I'm in the red of my bottom lip. There are some pix of me when I was like 17 on my site and I play way up high like on my nose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do NOT look in a mirror when you play. As Claude often said:

"What are you looking for? And if you found it, what would you do with it?"

And politely ignore anybody who tries to tell you anything about "tightening up the corners".

As Eric said, Claude's main embouchure concern was a player playing too low on their lips. But if they were playing well, he would leave this alone, too.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with not being dependant on the mirror...you can't tell an awful lot accurately by doing so regularly.

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-09 03:24, Roddyo-iii<O wrote:
I agree with not being dependant on the mirror...you can't tell an awful lot accurately by doing so regularly.

Though I must admit I really do spend a bit of time looking in the mirror as I play - but I'm not checking on my embouchure, I'm just admiring myself.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: