• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How much do you charge for gigs?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Warbird
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I am starting to do gigs for weddings and receptions and things like that and I just wanted to know what you charge. Do you charge for the event, number of songs, time, or what? I am a decent player, its just I have never done a paid gig, though, I have done plenty of public playing.

In Christ,
Joseph N. Pack
1935 H. N. White Co. Cornet - Denis Wick 4B
dwm1129
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For weddings I charge $150. Which just has me at the rehersal friday evening, I play the piece once or twice with the organist and then show up Sat. afternoon and play the begining of the wedding and go home. Thats all you'll ever need to do and depending on were you are living I think 150 is a good price to charge.
Warbird
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a high schooler so do you think I should charge maybe $125-$100?
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a slight difference between a wedding cerimony performance and a reception band. A soloist with a reputation can get $100-$200, a dance band will have to split its fee among the members. There will be a market price for such things in your neck of the woods.
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q: How much do you charge?

A: As much as I can get!

Musicians shouldn't apologize and low-ball their prices in order to get paid!

Since this thread seems to be (so far anyway) focusing on wedding jobs and reception jobs I'll make a few comments on these type jobs.

1. The $150 price mentioned earlier is probably a good "standard" for the average wedding party and the average trumpeter to agree on . . . IF they know and are comfortable already playing with a competent keyboardist (so you don't have to have an extra rehearsal with that person just to get him/her up to speed) . . . and IF you do not have to attend but one rehearsal maximum.

However, you may arrive and get totally aggravated with yourself when you discover how many TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars many spend on weddings. Gosh, the caterers and bartenders will make more than that!

2. In my area, a fine trumpeter (and well-known and loved band director) is usually called upon to play at the many, many students he's taught in the county through the years.

Three reasons he's so popular. First . . . he's a fine player! Second . . . HE CHARGES 'EM FIFTY BUCKS! Third . . . I charge a lot more!

THERE'S A "LOW-BALLER" IN EVERY AREA WHO KEEPS EVERYONE FROM MAKING A FAIR RATE!

Needless to say, I don't go after the wedding business. I consider it a hassle anyway. Here are some of my reasons:

1. Usually the bride is clueless about what she wants musically.

2. They usually hire (for $50) the church's amateur organist/pianist. Most are dreadful, can't keep a beat, screw up a lot, and make the performance very nerve-wracking. (Once the organist turned her transposing knob the wrong direction--leaving me "flappin' in the breeze" when I came in on my D trumpet!)

3. The bride's mom is usually a nervous wreck and frets over the details of the music that her daughter couldn't decide on . . . and demands lots of additional rehearsal time . . . especially after hearing the organist!

Gosh, at one rehearsal, I arrived to discover that the bride's initial "Gee, anything you want to play will be fine," had evolved into her mom having a detailed program of pre-wedding music . . . including some really tough stuff (both technically and range-wise). Combine that with an accompianist who is terrible and the event is rife with the chance for disaster!

4. The gig requires at least two times you must show up (usually), yet the mind-set of the wedding party is that they are just paying you for a few minutes of music at the ceremony.

WEDDING RECEPTIONS
I actually enjoy playing these! The pressure is off the mother of the bride and everyone has a great time. My combo gets to also let our hair down and really "party" with the people and get 'em having a great time! These gigs can be a lot of fun.

My only regret? When I price the band much too cheap in relation to what is being spent on the entire wedding reception. Gosh, sometimes I've played weddings where $40,000 was lavished on the event . . . and we got chump change.
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For weddings around $150, unless I am friends of the family. For church performances I always accept the standard fee - even if it is $0. Typically those will range from $50-$200 depending on the number of services, rehearsals required etc.
clarion89
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my area of country, Greater Cleveland, I usually charge between $100 - 150 for wedding ceremonies. I never go to the Friday rehearsal - just show up slightly early on Saturday to tune and rehearse small sections of pieces.

When I was living in Chicago, it was common to get $200 for a wedding ceremony and I may only have played 3 pieces.

I play in a rock/motown band that pays members $150 per wedding reception.

Church services: $75.00 per service and includes a rehearsal. I play for free, and my own enjoyment and source of worship almost every Sunday at my own church.

Music theater gigs: I certainly don't set the scale here, but I usually make around $25 -30 per show. I have the most fun playing these gigs!

Whatever you charge - do not lowball and if you charge the going rate - you gotta deliver the goods!!
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q: How much do you charge?
A: As much as I can get!
==========================

Hhahaahhaahah!!!---Mr.Tom---you beat me to it!

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
dwm1129
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warbird, go with 125 dollars thats a good price.
I can relate to Tom Turner on horror stories from weddings, with the organist and the families etc... Most people don't know what they want for the march down the isle, so you should tell them you have an organist that plays with you and tell them you two come as a package and tell them the pieces you two perform.
These are very small things that you can do to assure you have a good performance and have your stuff together or at least appear to. sometimes things don't work out this way and you get last minute calls and things like that, but you work with what you got.
Pedro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tom...You're bringing back some of those not-so-old and ugly memories!!! The church organist/pianist fiasco...OH BROTHER!!!! Sometimes, even the GOOD money ain't worth the hassle!!!
Warbird
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I just wanted to say thanx to everyone on here. I would be lost without you.

I guess I would have been guilty for lowballing it if I went on other people's advice...one guy told me $50 is the stardard...of corse it has been +35 years since he ever did a gig too, so...

Ok so $125-150 is what I am seeing...I will keep this in mind.

In Christ,
Joseph N. Pack
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom I agree about low-ballers. If someone calls and is looking for a $50 trumpet player, I ask them if they want to worry about the music or if they want a professional job. It's their choice. sometimes it is just sticker shock. I have one in a week where the guy was clueless and shocked at first ended up hiring 2 of us. If it is important to them they will pay.
If they have whacky ideas about what they want, it is again, usually just ignorance - I will try to accomodate reasonable requests, but won't put myself on the line to play something I know isn't going to work.
There are some good churches to play accousically that still have pipe organs - some have gone through major rebuilding, others are in dire need. There are some fumbling organists -but I can't control that. I have played with really fine ones too. A good experience with a good organist leads to referrals that generate more easy gigs. Repeat calls eliminate a need to rehearse. When everything is right, I just really get off on the power and the glory of it - just gotta love the sound of the organ cranking and playing the trumpet over it all. For the money I am not yet bored with trumpet voluntary, but I do enjoy adding new pieces to the rep. There are a whole lot of other gigs I have done for with more time and aggravation, and less money. so, good you guys don't like them - more for me.
Warbird - learn the rep, learn to transpose Since you are new at it, if you can, do a regular church gig with the organist beforehand. You will feel more comfortable with the situation 'cause it is a lot different than any school stuff you do. and one thing for me to learn at your age was don't accept mistakes. I used to expect them when I did more practicing than performing. I mean don't hang yourself if you bloop, but get into a performance mode. somone has a signature that says don't practice it til you get it right - practice it till you can't get it wrong. Especially weddings - don't play on the edge of your ability there. unless it is family who will love you anyway.
tryingtolivethelife
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could get more gigs, I mean I'm constantlly working on my craft andthe performance experience is so great, I wish I could do gigs for free. But hey they would probablly piss of local musicians hey wouldn't it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I posted this story here or not but at a wedding gig I was getting $250 which is about the norm around here. I was booked through a local agency.
As I was leaving, the mother of the bride (aka raging bitch from hell) thanked me and said;
"I'l bet that's the easiest $900 you ever made!"

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
sm070

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, be aware that you need to get your name out there so maybe setting the bar so high is such a good idea - esp. if you are in high school. Maybe start in that $50-100 range and get some experience and some tunes under your belt. That way if the bride does ask to play whatever you don't have resort to "trumpet Voluntary" or "In-Voluntary" and then you can really play some neat stuff and get people talking which is the best PR someone get.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much about pricing for gigs varies from place to place and according to the type of gig, the venue, etc. Somehow no one in music school seems to tell you that you are really going to be a small business owner and that in addition to playing great you have to learn to think like an entrepeneur.

I literally get anywhere from $0-$1200 per day depending on the kind of gig it is and where it is. However, remember that you always need to consider:

1) How the experience will help your playing grow.
2) How the gig and exposure will help or tarnish your reputation and networking.
3) How much money, time, and energy will be invested in the gig-not just playing, but preparation, rehearsal, travel time, etc.
4) What do you wear. For example, if a tux is involved my price automatically doubles.

Yet another similarity between trumpet players and ladies of the evening...exotic costumes cost extra!!!
Warbird
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'de have to pay me an aweful lot to get me to dress in some idiot costum.

Thanks a lot. Good stuff, good stuff!!!

Iesus Amate,
Joseph N. Pack
SummerSong

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: SummerSong on 2004-05-05 10:02 ]
trumpeterb
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I truly believe in the old saying "you get what you pay for." If you are a good player, charge for your services. You would never ask a Lawyer to give you a half hour of legal advice for free (or even cheap), and a doctor will most likely not give you medical treatment for free, so why should professional musicians be expected to provide their services for free (or cheap). I hold two degrees in music, and when I play a wedding, I charge $100-$150 depending on how much playing is involved. I normally don't show up to the rehearsal Friday night without tacking on an additional $75. As musicians, we sometimes struggle to make enough to survive as it is, lowballing weddings not only hurts other trumpeters, but also hurts you as a professional musician.
That's my two cents, anyway.

[ This Message was edited by: trumpeterb on 2002-07-02 13:55 ]
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on tom. My first gig was playing 1st part in a worship band $85 for ten minutes of work, it was pretty cool. My last few gigs have been at 175 a pop. That has been after I established that I wa a serious player. A reputation is hard to get but easy to destroy when you're on a gig be a good musician but don't be a jerk if someone messes up be cool it's not a job it's a passion. Good Luck with the gig's and how bout a managers fee for the pep talk ??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: