• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How much do you charge for gigs?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Warbird
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How convenient...my guitar teacher is also a booking agent...

He said that around here, I should charge from 150-200 (depending on the duration of the sevice) for a wedding. He said that the people who get 250 are people like the Proffessor of Music at UNCC, Prof. Harding.

In Christ,
Joseph N. Pack
mark936
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta remember and take to heart what Summersong said, "free gigs lead to more free gigs."

All I've been getting lately are drink tickets.

And it really twists me off when between the third and forth set I gotta buy my next (third) beer.

But then, as I was leaving an attractive asian woman reached out and said, "you played beautifully tonight." and it's worth it.

And then on the ride home, wifey = "you played beautifully tonight, you played beautifully tonight, you played ....... "

mm

[ This Message was edited by: mark936 on 2002-07-06 21:45 ]
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-29 17:33 ]
Yoinks
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you are going to really get into this, you need to have a couple of things decided ahead of time.

First of all, buy your arrangements, and insist on using them. Just lay that out as a ground rule right away to the customer, that the organist will need to play your arrangement. If they want something outside your repetoire I add $25 a song.(You should have a pretty good repetoire worked up if you play a lot)

Set a price and stick too it for everyone. And in case you do want to waver once in a while, ask the customer to keep the price confidential.(I charge $125 for a basic setup) Be able to lay out exactly what they get for that price, and stick to that(I.E. one rehearsal with the organist, one runthough on day of wedding, and the performance.) And clearly explain when you start charging extra. If they can't afford that, then they can't afford a trumpet player. You are a extra luxuruy item, it is not your problem to accomodate them if they only want to spend $50 on a player, which is unrealistic.

As mentioned above, dealing with the bride and her usually demon from hell mother can get difficult. Your average 20-25 year old bride knows absolutely nothing about this type of music, and will default to her mother, who often thinks it is okay to change her mind six times a week in the two to three weeks leading up the wedding. Set a deadline when things need to be finalized by and stick to it. It will be easier on you in the long run.

Also, make sure they know all the preparations they need to make for you. Music stands, where you are going to stand(close enough to make eye contact w/organist), etc. I've shown up to wedding gigs, where the mother is suddenly like "I know we originally said you would be standing here, but I just thought it would look nicer if you were over here..." which ends up to be about in the next state compared with the organist, and around a corner. And then I have to explain to her like a little kid, that, no, there were reasons that I was going to be standing where I was, and I need to be there.

Essentially. You have to make personal guidelines, and stick to them, or your life of playing weddings will be hell. Sometimes you just won't be able to agree on things and you will end up getting let go from the gig. That's life, and usually you dont' catch a bad rap around town because some ornery mother got pissed.

For example, recently I got hired for this gig. It wasn't a wedding, but something similar. This lady called me like twice a day for two weeks straight on my cell phone. I swear, she would be out in traffic and think of something, panic, and call me. The ridiculous thing was, I was only playing two songs, and the gig was to last five minutes. Then came the week of the gig( it was on sunday) I talk to her on Tuesday, and I swear, I thought we had things nailed down, FINALLY. I ended the conversation with, "I'll see you on Sunday then." Wednesday night I went to work, and I had to have my cell phone off. The next morning I get up, and there are three messages on my cell phone. the first one was at four p.m., saying something along the lines of "I know we just talked yesterday, but I really need to talk to you again to make sure you are coming." WHAT!?? How in the hell could she possibly think I was not coming at this point? The second, around 5:30, was along the lines of, in a nervous voice, "I left a message for you a couple hours ago and you still haven't called back, and I absolutely have to talk to you tonight" The last one was finally around 9:30 p.m. It essentially said," Gee I haven't heard from you since I left the first message four hours ago, so you must not be interested in this gig anymore, so I won't be needing you for this gig anymore." I swear, I have never felt so much releif at getting fired before in my life. This lady was nuts!!
Warbird
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't so much about money (though you could add prices in), but when you get hired to play for a church service, do you have to go out and get the music or do you just look in the Hyminal and play something or does the organist get you your music?

Iesus Amate,
Joseph N. Pack
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Church gigs can go a couple of ways. First of you can be asked to play out of the hymnal, tis is the kind of gig I love. I mean they give you a hymnal and you're supposed to be playing pretty much all the time, so you can kinda play around with it. You don't have to play the melody line, I like to play the tenor line (top note bass cleff) or the harmony on the treble cleff. It's a cool gig if you can transpose easily or if you have a C trumpet.

Second they could have real band music, it's a little harder usually and they'll usually give you the music before hand a day or so to look it over. Another great gig if you can read.

Then my favorite, not is the gig where you have a disorganized organist ( ) and he thought that you would have no problem playing by ear. Those gigs are a pain. Hope this helps you. Good Luck with the gigs.
wildebrook

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is best, assuming you are good enough to be doing a wedding gig, not to "low-ball" your price. Lets face it, the wedding party either wants a trumpet, or, like probably the overwhelming majority, they don't. Price won't affect the last group, they won't book you anyway. And, for those who want a good trumpet: let's be real, in most communities, the supply of GOOD trumpeters is lower than the demand. Even if you aren't the best in town among those who do weddings, on any given date probably most are already booked.
So charge the usual rate. If you want more gigs, put your name in with more organists, wedding planners, etc so the word gets out you are one to call. There are a lot of folks who would love a trumpet at their wedding but don't know you are available, so let them know!!!! If someone tells you someone else charges less, there is probably a good reason why they haven't already booked him/her, so don't be tempted to get into a bidding war. You might say that you have no arguement with the prices others charge, they know how much they are worth....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: