• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lester Bowie

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone ever heard of this guy. A friend of mine gave me a CD called "Brass Fantasy." It is an awesome CD. I am not usually much of a jazz fan, but this guy does some really cool stuff.
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone ever heard of Lester Bowie? You bet! Anyone ever heard of The Art Ensemble of Chicago? New Directions?
Very sad that he died before his time, but like the other immortals discussed here, his playing lives on...and what playing! Probably the most flexable trumpeter ever! (He could literally speak words through his trumpet, pedal tones were part of his normal register) Lester had a sense of humor and love for music transmitted in every note!

[ This Message was edited by: pfrank on 2002-06-24 16:47 ]
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]
On 2002-06-24 16:44, pfrank wrote:
Anyone ever heard of Lester Bowie? You bet! Anyone ever heard of The Art Ensemble of Chicago? New Directions?
Very sad that he died before his time, but like the other immortals discussed here, his playing lives on...and what playing! Probably the most flexable trumpeter ever! (He could literally speak words through his trumpet, pedal tones were part of his normal register) Lester had a sense of humor and love for music transmitted in every note!

<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited by: pfrank on 2002-06-24 16:47 ]</

Lester was and still is sooooooooooo beautiful.
Type in his name in any search engine and enjoy the story of a beautifully talented human being...gone too soon.
He gave soooooooooo much to all of us through his association with the learning centers and colleges throughout the world.
LONG LIVE HIS WONDERFUL FREE-JAZZ SPIRIT.
I miss reading about his latest projects...as he was always UP TO SOMETHIN' )
mark936
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only one CD by him.

I think it's him and a drummer.

Lots of soloing in the pedal tone range.

Interesting listening to someone stretch the boundaries. Got to keep an open mind.

It's probably better than it sounds. At least that's why I give it run thru about four times a year.

mm
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite Lester Brown quote is
"If you can play bebop you can play anything."
Larry Smithee
dales
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That must the Lester Bowie/Philip Wilson trumpet/drums duet. Didn't know it was ever on CD. I'll buy it from you if you ever get tired of it.
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-06-29 09:20, Larry Smithee wrote:
My favorite Lester Brown quote is
"If you can play bebop you can play anything."
Larry Smithee

Lester Brown? Duh!!! That should be Lester Bowie.
Larry Smithee
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester & Don Cherry were my boyhood heroes! I went straight from baseball cards to Art Ensemble of Chicago records.

He was a magnificent musician and a brilliant, fun-loving man. I hung out with him all night one night back in the '70s in Sydney, Australia. The evening culminated in a new tattoo (a trumpet with flames spewing from the bell) for Lester at 4am!

His solo "Jazz Death" on Roscoe Mitchell's record called "Congliptious" is one of the 8 or 10 most important trumpet solos in the history of jazz IMHO!

[ This Message was edited by: PH on 2002-06-30 07:48 ]
dales
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a moment in the live Art Ensemble record _Kabalaba_ where Lester is playing one of his animated unaccompanied solos. The mike picks up a derisive sounding whistle from the audience. Lester plays "I love you too" back through the horn and then expounds on it. Fabulous...
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-06-30 07:47, PH wrote:
Lester & Don Cherry were my boyhood heroes! I went straight from baseball cards to Art Ensemble of Chicago records.

He was a magnificent musician and a brilliant, fun-loving man. I hung out with him all night one night back in the '70s in Sydney, Australia. The evening culminated in a new tattoo (a trumpet with flames spewing from the bell) for Lester at 4am!

His solo "Jazz Death" on Roscoe Mitchell's record called "Congliptious" is one of the 8 or 10 most important trumpet solos in the history of jazz IMHO!

<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited by: PH on 2002-06-30 07:48 ]</font>

Yes! Lester lives in each and all of our hearts and your story about the IMPORTANCE of Lesters great gift of musicianship, amazingly entertaining and wonderful friend to so many friends all over the world that feel his void. Thankfully we are truly blessed by his recordings but like PH wrote. To hear, walk and talk and yes, enjoy a few eves. in the presence of such a leader and teacher and caring friend to musicians...well, IT JUST DON'T GET BETTA' THAN THAT!!
I too, met him at the Uof Wash. for one of his many NW tour gigs to colleges in our area. The late Roy Cummings, of the Uof W. insisted that I hear and see Lester in person. This alone was truly one of the best pieces of advice given to any trumpet head who loved trumpet while Les was alive and he lives and those lives he touched...like PH said, received a blessing that lives in our demented brass heads...until the day we all cross over and all that jazz.

GREAT POST...PH WITH FLAMES "SPEWING FORTH FROM THE BELL TATTOO." ) Understandably soooo!
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How heartening to see all this Lester praise... It always seemed to me that Lester Bowie had already been in HEAVEN: The Art Ensemble Of Chicago! I used to go to their shows to see and hear Lester, but also to see that great group and the HUGE collection of percussion instruments from around the world. I love interesting percussion and would have paid to just look...

Lester's music always gave me the feeling of creative inclusivness; the feeling that I TOO could go out and express myself. I think that's an important message in this age when star worship is all too common.

Last saturday we decided to drive north to find a beach, and I took a bunch of long-time unheard tapes for the ride. On one, a compilation of things from American Clave (Kip Hanrahan's lable) there was this funk tune, and then this VOICE playing/jumping/twisting comments on trumpet: It had to be Lester. He was the HUMANity in the mix!

[ This Message was edited by: pfrank on 2002-07-08 12:01 ]
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-08 11:45, pfrank wrote:
How heartening to see all this Lester praise... It always seemed to me that Lester Bowie had already been in HEAVEN: The Art Ensemble Of Chicago! I used to go to their shows to see and hear Lester, but also to see that great group and the HUGE collection of percussion instruments from around the world. I love interesting percussion and would have paid to just look...

Lester's music always gave me the feeling of creative inclusivness; the feeling that I TOO could go out and express myself. I think that's an important message in this age when star worship is all too common.

Last saturday we decided to drive north to find a beach, and I took a bunch of long-time unheard tapes for the ride. On one, a compilation of things from American Clave (Kip Hanrahan's lable) there was this funk tune, and then this VOICE playing/jumping/twisting comments on trumpet: It had to be Lester. He was the HUMANity in the mix!

<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited by: pfrank on 2002-07-08 12:01 ]</font>

WOW!....Stop on one of those sandy and windy beaches with a sunset behind you.....put the head sets on and groove to the music..while dancin' and flying a beautiful brand new sportkite to the rhytmn of a heavy beat with a Lester piece playing in your head.
Go to: http://www.sportkite.com
and see what I mean. Click on the Gallery and see what this old badboy is talking about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: