• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

GETTING STARTED 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derekph

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Charles. I have another question. In the book when explaining the 2nds Intervals exercise he says to play until no sound comes out. Does that mean even if I'm not hittin the interval? Because sometimes I'll go for that next note and hit the partial below it, but it is a sound technically, just not the right sound coming out of my horn.
As well, and sort of connected, how much should I work to get that next interval when I start to tire? I feel like sometimes I may be hurting myself and usually stop at that point.
By the way, a little progress report. I made a new years resolution to start practicing twice a day and I'm using the time in the morning to do Caruso. After only 3 weeks (maybe it's psychological) I feel much stronger in my general playing range. I thank you for your efforts here on this forum helping the rest of us with Caruso's stuff.
If I could, I'd bake you a cake as a gift.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
the chief
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can one order this book (books) ? I've tried to google it but haven't found anything.
Trumpet of Jesus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On page 3 of this forum they posted a website: sheetmusicplus.com I believe you will be able to find it there.

I myself am itching to get this book. Unforunately, I only have time to practice twice a week until July comes around then I'll have everyday free to practice. Great Forum. It has opened my eyes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also find MCFB at http://www.amazon.com I actually saw a couple on there today for under $11.00 (not including shipping) and you can probably find it at http://www.rkingmusic.com also.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it at the top!
arutunian359

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking, wouldn't it be a wonderful idea to consolidate all of this information in a single compendium of answers to questions about the methods of Carmine Caruso? This type of thing could be a joint project (coordinated and proliferated through e-mail due to time constraints) of former students of Caruso's. What do you guys think? Would Project Caruso be a feasible undertaking for a team of Caruso's former students? It could be published and sold as a marvelous tool for any trumpet player using Caruso's method (or rather his un-method). Just an idea. Not everybody uses trumpetherald.com, obviously, and so not all trumpet students know of the knowledge contained around these parts. Let's see what you all think.
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not everybody uses trumpetherald.com ...

Then, let's spread the word!!!!!

Actually, I think you have a great idea and one that I have thought about before. On the website I put up for Carmine, http://www.carminecaruso.net , I have links to essays (internet) and threads (on the TH) that I think are important for answering questions about MCFB and Carmine's approach in general. I am open to suggestion for adding more! That is sort of the extent that I have directly addressed your idea, other then the Caruso forum itself.

The important thing is to keep it free. Isn't that what they say about the best things in life? (Other than that R 'n' R song, of course). : )
devin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlie:

should I be doing the second blow after 15 seconds on all the CC interval exercises (2nds, 3rds, 4ths, etc.) or just the 2nds? also, if I'm doing the second blow on the 2nds, do I need to rest for a while--say 20 minutes--before moving on to the 3rds or 4ths? I don't think so based on your posts, but I wanted to ask. don't want to screw up my lip. I did second blows today on 2nds and 3rds for the first time. Didn't hurt. In fact, I hit higher notes in my regular, i.e., non-CC, practice routine.

as always thanks for your help,

devin
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

should I be doing the second blow after 15 seconds on all the CC interval exercises (2nds, 3rds, 4ths, etc.) or just the 2nds?

Yes. You should do a second blow following all the interval drills.

also, if I'm doing the second blow on the 2nds, do I need to rest for a while--say 20 minutes--before moving on to the 3rds or 4ths?

No. You may do one interval after another, up to a maximum of 20 minutes of playing. As your schedule gets longer (and you need more than one one 20 minute segment to play everything) you may want to split up the intervals so that you're not doing all of them in the same 20 minute increment. At least that's the way I used to to do them.
dildav

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found your message re:Caruso. I have used his method for some time but lately have been using Marvin Stamm as a warm-up. Are these two compatable?
tomba51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what Marvin Stamm has advised as a warmup, but Marvin was a long time student of Carmine Caruso's.

Tom
Terry
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bringing it back to the top again
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally received MCFB..starting to work on it diligently, as per instructions.

Now I know what you guys mean about the 6 notes!!

Regards,

Trevor
TWEAK
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a quick question...i dont think anyone has asked this yet or not. i looked but i didnt see it.

should you tongue exercises 2 and beyond or should they all be done with a breath attack?

i havent seen anywhere in the book that makes it clear or not except for exercise 1.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jerry Freedman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except for the tonguing excercise and *possible* the first notes of the developed scales you should breath attack everything
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me just add to Jerry's post.

The likelyhood of veering from the intent of the exercises is less if you use all breath attacks (except for the tonguing exercise). If you have a good Caruso teacher, he might change that, but the breath attacks are as failsafe as is possible, ESPECIALLY if you are doing CC without a CC teacher.
TWEAK
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright good. so far i have been using only breath attacks (i am only on exercises 1 and 2). and so far i still can only get to high a above the staff using only breath attacks but when i try to slur a to b, it plays a to a flat. it wont go up. so i'll give it time, but at least i know i am doing what i should be, right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you're doing everything thre way you should. getting to A on the staff is good for the first blow when you are just beginning on this exercise!

Just remember that you gauge your progress by how much your MUSIC playing improves ... not by how high you get with the CC intervals. Doing them while following the Four Rules are what make them inprove your music playing the fastest.
TWEAK
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one other quick question...at what dynamic level should these be played? the goal should probably be to do these with the least amount of effort, and it would be good to not blast your head off with them, right?? ive been trying to play them as quietly as possible.
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TWEAK wrote:
one other quick question...at what dynamic level should these be played?

MF

TWEAK wrote:
the goal should probably be to do these with the least amount of effort, and it would be good to not blast your head off with them, right??

The goal in playing MUSIC is to be able to use the least amount of effort. The CC calisthenics are not music and shouldn't be perceived or judged as music. The CC exercises are pre-music, that which prepares you to play music. Play them with abandon, totally disregarding tone quality and pressure. The two things to focus on are,

1. your foot tapping,
2. keeping the blow constant.

The calisthenics WILL make your music playing better but will probably never sound particularly musical themselves, and they're not supposed to sound musical ... ever!

When playing the <> and >< exercises, you will blast your head off. Everything else is MF with a straight tone.

TWEAK wrote:
... ive been trying to play them as quietly as possible.

Change that to a comfortable, natural feeling mezzo forte, not intentionally soft or loud.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: