• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

a good trumpet teacher to show me the light

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShortTimejON

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I will be a sophmore at SSFHS, I have been section leader throughout middle school and my first year in high school in symphonic band and next year in jazz too. We have jazz rehearsals twice a week (currently) and in order for our band to play some really cool songs I need to expand my upper register. I can hit a D above the staff but only when my mouthpeice and lips are not moist, but I dont feel like i have control over it. I need to be able to hit an E above staff clearly and in tune. My instructor always says to use my air, to push. So playing lead in jazz and symphonic, right now my lips would get tired and I wouldnt be able to play so well in multiple performances (like, symph. then jazz right after symph finishes) I was wondering if you know of any good teachers that would help me out dramatically in the South San Francisco/SF area. That Jeff Smiley guy in Dallas sounds like a good guy except i'm not in dallas =X thanks
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy Jeff's book, the Balanced Embouchure. Take it slow, and good luck!
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try John Worley at Bronstein's Music in South City.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ShortTimejON

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive been trying to get a hold of him (my teacher referred me to him) except he told me lessons from him would be really expensive so to try to contact one of his students for lessons, unless you know the guy and can maybe get me a discount?

thanks, jonathan
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what "expensive" is to you, but I think John's rates are reasonable.
Stuff in the Bay Area does cost a bit more though.
I'd be happy to help you, if you want to come to San Jose.
I ain't cheap though.

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ShortTimejON

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naaa... thats ok... kinda far, what are his rates? and yours? if you dont mind me asking
thanks
-jonathan
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
ShortTimejON

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

true true.. if I had a car and a job that would be a different story.. so I will try to get a hold of Worley at Bronsteins and have a discussion with him... thanks

-jonathan

p.s. if you know of any other good teachers, please list them
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
ShortTimejON

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm..... Sounds interesting.. but of course where I live in South San Francisco there are no farmers..... or rivers.. But yea... it sounds like you REALLY wanted a good instructor if you woke up that early to get lessons.. Thanks
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-01 16:47, ShortTimejON wrote:
Hey, I will be a sophmore at SSFHS, I have been section leader throughout middle school and my first year in high school in symphonic band and next year in jazz too. We have jazz rehearsals twice a week (currently) and in order for our band to play some really cool songs I need to expand my upper register. I can hit a D above the staff but only when my mouthpeice and lips are not moist, but I dont feel like i have control over it. I need to be able to hit an E above staff clearly and in tune. My instructor always says to use my air, to push. So playing lead in jazz and symphonic, right now my lips would get tired and I wouldnt be able to play so well in multiple performances (like, symph. then jazz right after symph finishes) I was wondering if you know of any good teachers that would help me out dramatically in the South San Francisco/SF area. That Jeff Smiley guy in Dallas sounds like a good guy except i'm not in dallas =X thanks

Hi there!

I would suggest that you click on the "WWW" icon in my profile below this to see my own story. Then if you're interested in help, e-mail me.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Wow! I went to the site and read about your experiece as a student of Claude's. Everything that you said makes sense and I really enjoyed reading Claude's quotes. The work ethic and patience that it must take to truly approach the trumpet the way Claude taught you to do is I think what keeps many players from realizing their full potential, myself included.

So many of us are looking for that secret or golden ticket to superior chops and playing ability and it's interesting that all it may take is a systematic approach, dedication and TONS of hard work! My wife chides me because unless she comes to the gigs, she never really gets to hear me play because I spend what little time I get with the horn these days practicing everything but the music for the gig.

Now, back to the subject at hand, expanding the upper register, my upper register has gotten better since I started practicing methodically with certain goals in mind. I now realize that I have to be even more focused and dilligent on what I practice. Thanks for the advice!
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: