• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Results from Caruso studies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Charly/fellow trumpeters!

I've been following the Getting Started plan as best as possible for around two months now.
I play the exercises at least 6 times a week/1-2 times per day. FYI, also following the Jeff Smiley studies.

Its frustrating to read when anyone says "I'm been using this or any plan for two weeks now and have doubled my range, endurance etc..."

That has not been the case with me. I can say I have had a slight improvement in range/endurance/tone but nothing to rave over. I'm not getting discouraged (cause I must improve) and nothing happens overnight but:

How long in general should a normal average player (not a begginer) expect to have some "significant" improvement using this plan? Six Months? A Year? Have I not provided enough info to answer the question?
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

This is an excerpt from another transcript that is up and coming in which I basically asked the same question of Carmine. His answer was as follows.

"....Can't figure those things out because those are things that depend on how quick the body picks up that physical need. In some bodies they're a little bit more sensitive than other bodies, but that's the difference between people. In my experience a good player takes ten years."

Now, a little explanation of the ten years figure. Carmine went on to explain that he looked at it as 5 years to get the physical demands achieved and another 5 years to learn to use them musically. That's what he called a "good player." The point of his quote is that some people respond to the physical demands of the calisthenic exercises faster than others. And it has nothing to do with the intelligence of the student. I know he had six month students who were playing scale exercises to G over high C and beyond. I wasn't one of them. I became pretty consistent up to that G (in performance) after about 2 and 1/2 years.

There are a lot of things going on with your muscles at this time and you have to go a little bit on faith that what you're doing is going to work. Six months should be the minimum time to give yourself for muscular development to occur. At that time, there should be things happening that are observable to you. Other people may notice things before then.

Check out the Transcript posts.

Charly
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great transcripts! Please keep em comin!

1)Anything you can discuss regarding Carmines philosophy in helping long time players alleviate bad playing habits?(in which I am a self proclaimed master, ha ha). Interesting stories of established pros going to him for last ditch effort help. Did he consider these especially hard students to work with?You mention in the transcripts that you were concerned with too much mpc pressure

2) How many years had you been playing already at the time these transcripts occured?
What condition were you in?
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

One thing a veteran player has to deal with (as opposed to a beginner) is reversing bad habits and replacing them with good ones. The beginner sees marked improvement in a short time because he is coming from nothing to start with. An experienced player must acquire new development in the muscles that eventually will supersede and replace old habits, before the bar gets raised and notes start getting added to range. The new development, however, should constantly be a reinforcement for the old way of playing and make it work even better. This could be experienced as more endurance, better sound, etc., in your normal range. Eventually the new development becomes your modus operandi and old ways of playing are no longer necessary to rely on and get reduced to a minimum. The old ways don't ever go away, they just get reduced to the point that they don't interfere with your playing.

I started with Carmine in June of '73' and started taping that summer. I taped several times over the next year and then once after that. When I went to Carmine in '73' my lips had been cut top and bottom for several months and I could barely play a tuning C. Within three months I was able to get a steady gig playing in a top 40 band and my lips healed WHILE I was playing on them, and never cut again.

Charly
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: