• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Flexibility Exercises

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terry
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was Caruso's approach to teaching flexibility exercises? I'm not talking about the Harmonic Scale; I mean stuff like Irons, Schlossberg, etc.
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He used the Baermann Scales and Chords and Clarke's Technical Studies (except the tenth study) from start to finish.

Also the three Laurent etude books and the Schlossberg for some mouthpiece drills
RJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it normal (I don't know if thats really the best word to use) when doing the Caruso routine to be doing less flexibility excercises than with other routines?
I've noticed if I do my usual Irons or Colin lip flexability routines since starting the Caruso routine they hurt my playing more than they help it. Is this just a person to person thing or is it average for most Caruso routiners?
RJ
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rj,

I don't know what to tell you on this one. The Caruso stuff should make the Irons, Colin, and anything else come together better for you.

How long have you been doing the Caruso?

Also remember that when you play ANYTHING that is not in MCFB, play the way you have always played. DO NOT intentionally or willfully try to incorporate anything into your playing that you think is part of the Caruso training. You MUST let the calisthenic exercises work their way into your regular playing automatically. Maybe this doesn't apply to you, but just keep it in mind.
RJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

***How long have you been doing the Caruso?***

I'm on the 4th week now.

I think it's just a matter of placement. Doing them right after the Caruso/20 minute break is a bit much. I think I'll try doing them later in the day and see what happens.

Thanks,
RJ
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4th week is still a little soon for any real development.

After doing Caruso for 20 minutes, play a few low F#s as long and as soft as possible OR a few minutes of low Es on the leadpipe using a very relaxed dynamic level.

Put the horn down and resume your practicing 20 minutes later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: