• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Observations - Week 2!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gms979
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Observations - Week 2! Reply with quote

Hi Everybody,
Just a progress report and some observations/questions......

I'm on week 2 now, incorporating both the 6 notes as well as seconds. Overall, in the 2-3 sessions a day I don't do Caruso I feel that positive things are happening, especially in regards to middle register notes "feeling the same", be it a g on top of the staff or a second line g. A difficulty still is starting below low c (first ledger line) and then tonguing a scale up - as I ascend towards the lower portion of the staff (say d to g or so) there are lots of airballs. But, if I start a scale in this register or higher, and head towards the top of the staff and higher, attacks are clear, crisp, and easy. This has been a frustration for some time now.....I'm hoping that as I evolve through Caruso this problem will take care of itself.

In specific regards to Caruso....I've found that if I do Caruso the very first thing in the day, it tends to negatively affect things, especially if I do my warm-up and maintenance routine right afterwards. Likewise if I try to do normal playing for 20 minutes, then 20 of Caruso, then another 20 of normal. This seems to wreak havoc with things. HOWEVER, there was a stretch (that I'm going to resume!) where I did about 15-20 minutes of Caruso (I'm only doing the 6 notes and the major seconds) late at night around 1-2 am (hours after my previous session...) with a Denis Wick Cup adjusted all the way in (my living situation doesn't allow me to be loud when I want to) I felt GOLDEN the next day. I've heard much of the lowdown against practicing with a cup mute....and have had poor results way in the past with trying to do a regular practice session with a cup mute. But for whatever reason, doing just Caruso with a cup mute only seems to improve everything the next day. I'd love to hear anybody's opinion on this.....whether to do what works, or be wary of confusing muscles by varying the resistance of the instrument via mutes and such.

Thanks!
Greg
gms979
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, just saw this topic discussed briefly on page 5 of these threads....although any further opinions/relevations/warnings/whathaveyou is still welcome!

Thanks,
Greg
Terry
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that playing the 6 Notes and Seconds would only take 5 or 6 minutes at the most. When you say you "did about 15-20 minutes of Caruso" did you mean you ran these two exercises over & over? Just once a day is enough, and I think that's the safest route. It's very easy to overdo these. I also wouldn't use mutes.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Terry. Week 2 should take no more than 10 minutes per day. I would try to do these early in the day...if not first thing, then certainly in your first hour or so of playing. You want to do the CC work while your chops are fresh and you absolutely want to do them only on the open trumpet.

If you are doing MCFB work early in the day and you are doing the exercises more than once you have probably found out why the results are less than satisfying. Do exactly what Carly suggests in "Getting Started" one time, no more and no less. When you have finished this you should move on to Clarkes, scales, music....
TWEAK
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i do caruso (week 7) its always the first thing i play. sometimes i dont get to do it right a way in the morning. for instance, the only time i could play today was from 6pm and onward. but caruso is always the first thing (well, technically lead pipe is).

after doing caruso for about probably 20-25 mins, i take a 20 min break. if i try to play other things right away, my chops feel like they cant handle it. but right after that 20 mins, i do lip flexibilities (but would you guys recommend something different, like clarke? if so, i can try switching). the lip flexibilities are at first fuzzyish sounding about then soon enough they fall into place. then i break again after 10 mins of lip flex for 10-15 min and then bam...i can play all day.

thats just me, anyone else?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TWEAK wrote:
when i do caruso (week 7) its always the first thing i play. sometimes i dont get to do it right a way in the morning. for instance, the only time i could play today was from 6pm and onward. but caruso is always the first thing (well, technically lead pipe is).

after doing caruso for about probably 20-25 mins, i take a 20 min break. if i try to play other things right away, my chops feel like they cant handle it. but right after that 20 mins, i do lip flexibilities (but would you guys recommend something different, like clarke? if so, i can try switching). the lip flexibilities are at first fuzzyish sounding about then soon enough they fall into place. then i break again after 10 mins of lip flex for 10-15 min and then bam...i can play all day.

thats just me, anyone else?

My experience is similar to Tweak. You have to work gradually through the lessons in Getting Started. If you try to do too much CC too soon it make make it harder for your chops to adjust to the new demands. They will eventually adjust, but it might be more stressful if you try to push things.

The other point I want to make is that CC practice is supposed to supplement other things that you already do and that are proven to work for you. They are not to displace anything. Therefore, if gms979 is trying to either do more than once through the exercises or is replacing something that he is presently used to this is probably the root of his struggles.

TWEAK, in light of what I just said, if lip flexibility is something you have been doing for a while with good results I would continue that way. I found that for me over time the work I do with Carmine's stuff (and now supplemented with Flexus) makes lip flexibility something I generally don't need to worry about. In my own development I have found that it is more important to work on articulation and flow/tone stuff in addition to my Caruso work. This is totally personal.

My advice is to do the CC as a separate set or sets and then put it out of your mind and practice the kinds of other technical and musical work that you would normally do. The magic of CC will gradually creep into your other playing and transform it without you having to think about it the rest of the day.
TWEAK
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PH wrote:

TWEAK, in light of what I just said, if lip flexibility is something you have been doing for a while with good results I would continue that way. I found that for me over time the work I do with Carmine's stuff (and now supplemented with Flexus) makes lip flexibility something I generally don't need to worry about. In my own development I have found that it is more important to work on articulation and flow/tone stuff in addition to my Caruso work. This is totally personal.

i had put off doing lip flexibilities for a while because i just wanted to work on etudes so i could work on technical things. now that i am wehre i wanted to be with that, the focus has changed to lip flexibilites (i obviously haven't stopped doing technical things). i guess its just about where you need to be.

tounging for me comes somewhere a bit after flexibilities during the day, though. i only started really working on multiple tonguing during the summer, but the way i have practiced them has been so benificial, that i wish i had started doing it a while back.

i just ordered the flexus book a couple days ago. i have heard a few things about it here; skimmed thru some postings about it and stuff. when i get it, we'll see what happens from there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: