• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Channel One Suite

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Braver

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any of you have played the lead part on this Buddy Rich piece, maybe you'll know what I'm talking about. I really want to nail it, but I'm having problems with this song. After the big tenor cadenza, when you have to hit 5 quarter note high D's, and then trill up to the double G. The guy in the recording trills or slurs (i can't tell) a D/E, and pops the G like nothing. But I can almost never get it. Some of the really tough parts I have to play down, but most of it is playable. Any ideas as to how I can get the air moving so I can get the high stuff consistently and last the entire song?
-Thanks

Btw, I didn't know if this should have gone to the High Range, or Jazz forum, so I just put it here.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Braver

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, don't pass out is right. I almost have playing this damn song. Unfortunately this isn't a paying gig, its me and my high school jazz band playing this. I still find it hard to believe we pulled it off without having to play alternate parts. The band is good enough to play it. Solid drummer, and lead alto. So now, its just up to me to top it all off. I've yet to play a double C with any volume, so I'm happy to get the high G's out. This song kicks my ass everytime we play it but its worth it. Thanks for the tips, helps a lot.

It'll be the last time I get to play this song, and with the band altogether, at this years Detroit Jazz Festival, formerly Montreux. We'll also be playing Groove Merchant by Thad Jones, thats a fun chart too. I can't wait.

Is there any other bands or songs that Al is known for besides Buddy Rich's big band? I'd like to hear that!

Thanks,
Rob
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
ByroTrumpet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to try and play thru that whole song you have to condition yourself to play it. So make sure you are practicing it every single day! So just keep your air moving and try and let up on some of the pressure, do breathing exercises. Do some range exercises which keep you in that high register for a long time. And another thing to do which will help keep you conditioned for it, is to play the high stuff with a metronome but play it like 20 beats slower so you are in the high register longer. It will seem like a lot to play it that much slower. But when you play it up to tempo again, it should go by quite easily.

hope some of this helps... great tune! hope you do well!

If there is anything that I stated here that someone doesn't agree with or if it is just plain wrong. Let me know (be professional about it), because I want to learn more. Have a great day everyone!
trumpetdiva1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently, I am working on this lead part. I agree with consistently working on it. I also agree that playing it at a slower tempo helps. This way you can work out any problems with rhythm and time changes, as there is more to it than range with this chart. I love to play along with Al Porcino, too. If you can nail the double G’s and the double C at a slower tempo, then it should be easier at the regular tempo.

I nail the double G's, especially if I fill up with a full tank of air. Now if I could only play that pesky double C in the chart and not just in Caruso exercises, I would be ecstatic.

---
Listen to this sample: Michael Haydn Concerto for Trumpet - II (Allegro) -
http://tinyurl.com/hgzhq23
---
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Al played on either a Bach 6 or a 6B rather than a 6C.

I can remember a couple of hilarious Porcino quips form the two times I got to sit next to him in Larry Elgart's band. Al's sound, intonation, and swing are virtually unrivalled! I was scared.
bachstrad72
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al played/plays (to my knowledge) a 10 1/2C, though he was known to look frequently. More ammo to the its the player, not the equipment. That being said, I'm 99.9% sure it was a 10 1/2C
andagain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info on Al Porcino's mouthpiece from: http://www.jazzabc.de/alporcino/artoflead.htm

"He does it on a large-bore Benge trumpet and a Bach 10 ½C mouth-piece that has been altered to roughly the size of a Bach 6C."

Sorry if wrong forum, just wanted to give the info. Good link above.
trumpetdiva1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link to the Web Site, Andagain. It gives an interesting story on Al. I found his experimentation with mouthpieces fascinating. But I found that his continuous striving for intonation and a nice huge sound in the upper register even more fascinating. At first his playing in the upper register was only screeching. Later on, he worked on other important concepts such as sound and intonation even though it took him back somewhat with range to only eventually work back up to a range that sounded beautiful. What a rare and exceptional player. I would love to have such a nice, buttery, fat quality to my upper register as he later did.

---
Listen to this sample: Michael Haydn Concerto for Trumpet - II (Allegro) -
http://tinyurl.com/hgzhq23
---
psalt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it was a 10 1/2C altered to the size of a 6C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: