• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tensing up in chest / MP too big?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
I Jazz 24 7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My teacher would really like me to have a solid Eb (3 ledgers) by summers end. Right now I have about a solid f, maybe g. I have been working on breathing through science of breath. I think I know what I need to do for a higher range; except that when I played for my teacher yesterday he said the reason why my range was suffering was because I tense up in my chest as I ascend and that is cutting of my air. He didn't really suggest how to not tense up, he said that he had the same problem and he just focused on it and it slowly went away. Are there any exercises, routines, or secrets that will make this transition easier and quicker or is it just gonna take a lot of time and practice?

Also, I play on a Monette B4 (1 1/2 B) and my other teacher thinks it might be too big and will make my quest for range harder than it could be on another piece. Should I keep with this one and work hard or switch to something like a 3c (his suggestion) that would allow an easier upper register. When I get enough $$$ and I have a solid C or D on the B4 I am going to look into a Monette lead piece, I think. Thank you very much

brad
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-10-01 18:41 ]
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, if your useable range at the moment is an f or g (I'm assuming at the top of the staff) I think it's unreasonable of your teacher to expect a little less than an octave in a little less than 2 months. Don't set time goals on your playing... your drive to reach that goal can send you down some unhealthy ways of getting there.

If I was you, I would sell the mp you have and get a B6. This is remarkable similar to a 3C (as teach suggests), but with the Monette constant pitch center, and more balanced cup/throat/backbore relationship.

Keep going on the science of breath, and even kick around the idea of investing in one of Matt Schulman's Systems. At least go to his site and read what he has to say, his ideas are remarkable similar (Alexander Technique) to Dave Monette's, which really aren't THAT much different from the 'SONG AND WIND' ideas from the Chicago school. (Feel free to correct me as usual, Don ) I'm not saying they are all identical, by any means, but they are all pretty much focused on less tension and better air use through body use = better trumpeting. That's VERY general, but you get the idea.

Of course there HAS to be some tension someplace... it's hard to play while limp, but it's a matter of getting rid of that EXCESSIVE tension. The stuff that is a hindrance, rather than a help. The key is finding the balance.

Best of luck, HTH, IMHO and all that stuff...
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad,

Your teacher says that the reason your range is suffering is because ... you have too much tension in your chest?

The obvious question is, how does any teacher know this? How on earth does one go about figuring out the proper amount of chest tension?

There is another obvious question. You inferred that you have a different idea (than your teacher) about what the problem is. Can you tell us what YOU think is holding you back?

BTW - I agree with Nick. Setting timetables for an increase in range is a bad idea.

Jeff
http://www.trumpetteacher.net
I Jazz 24 7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help so far. I think I am gonna try the B6 and see what that does for me. trumpetteacher, I agree with my teacher. I do have excess tension in my chest and it is restricting my airflow. If the air were to travel in an uninterrupted path I don't think I would be having this range issue. I do agree with you about the range thing, I think it might be asking too much and I think he knows that too, he just wants to push me. It has worked, but almost too well. I often get discouraged when things can't be done but I'm slowly learning to take it in smaller steps. Thank you all for all your help.

brad
trptmaster
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like its time once again to head out to the tool shed and have a 1 on 1 with Mr. Drill. Drill that little piece out and make it wish it was never stock.

In peace,

trptmaster
histrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
How can the rib cage squeeze down on the diaphragm?
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: