• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Miles Ahead transcriptions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenny dorham is an animal
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was wondering if anyone knows of any where i can get some orchestral transcriptions to Miles' album Miles Ahead. I just want to have all that wicked music on paper.
tryingtolivethelife
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The library of congress is the only plae to get ahold of most of mingus's work... maybe Gil Evans is the same... I dunno, but that mingus thing got me thinkin when I found it out...

If you find a place, let us know,
Chuck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Halfnote

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here, but from what I've heard Gil Evans burned most (if not all) of his manuscripts and scores before he died. When I was in college our big band played "Blues for Pablo" and "Maids of Cadiz" but they had been transcribed off the record by someone with HUGE ears - it was a great transcription. This was at Kent State U. in Ohio and the jazz director there is Chas Baker - he might be able to point you in the right direction if you care to look him up. Good luck, and please let us know if you find any commercially available transcriptions. Peace.
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Maids of Cadiz" has been published (tho it's in the wrong key, IIRC).

There's a hand transcription of "My Ship" in the jazz band library at the University of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana that was done many years ago by an arranger named John Hutchens.

Gil died in 1988, and Miles rerecorded much of this material on the album "Miles and Quincy Live at Montreaux", recorded in 1991, so clearly the arrangements were still around after Gil passed.

I'll try and remember to pull out the liner notes and see if there's any discussion about the arrangements...

-- jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: