• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Does any body know...

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tryingtolivethelife
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys, or more specifically jhatpro...

Ummm is Jhatpro's name "Charles"?? Because thats my name, and the comments seemed directed at him. And as for Wynton Marsailis... don't like him much, never had... he has very close minded views about jazz... of course I get this directlly for Ken Burns jazz, and his forwards in the essentially ellington progarm. He gives off this impresion that save four of five cats there have been no real players since the big band days... that Ellingtons's and Armstrongs music is the only thing worth while. (don't get me wrong he is a very accomplished musician and a great composer, he just doesn't strike me as a personality I'd like to meet if I could pick one living jazz ledgend... Man Sonny Rollins would win that hands down. And as for Clifford Brown, or Brownie as I sometimes refer to him... I have researched his career and listened to his music for countless hours. I feel like I know hime pretty well... does anybody understand what I mean?>? As a jazz musician you get up on stage and you share part of who you are every time you play your horn. And I feel like I know "Cliff" as well as I am able to, and as bizare as it may sound I don't think he would mind such a hudge fan that looks up to him in every way calling him cliff. You guys know what I mean about knowing what these guys are aboiut?? Like having a good feeling for there personality?? or is that totally wacko. And as For the "Black Man"... or what he likes, thats differs from man to man. I feel like Miles davis might have been pissed if a white dude called him by a nickname... but thats just because Miles had an openly hostile personallity. I mean I would to if some cop beat me up outside a club... with his billy club, man. And as for mr. so and so black guy who gets pissed because he thinks some friendly gesture is racist, I pitty that sad mother****** and anybody who ever meets him because the world he has created in his head seems like a pretty horrible place. Man, nicknames are friendly and if somebody thinks I am gonna mean the same thing calling him "joe" insead of "joseph", as sayin... "hey there boy" man he needs to get a grip on realtiy and if it offends him he's a ***** and he's let the world get the best of him. Or let the worst of the world get the best of him, rather. Don't buy into that ****, it only incourages people to do that hostlie crap! Sorry if I went of the deep end man, it's just I've ran into people like the "type" you're talking about and it really makes me mad! Why the hell does he (the guy offended by the name) have tto be hostile to me, cause I'm white...? like he feels automatically negative towards me and my gesture of goodwill and friendship isn't enough for him. But you know, I have rarley met any body who has such a crappy attitude... most of the people I meet who are black ignore this fact... that we have a different skin color. And I don't mean this or any of it as an attact, unless your the guy getting pissed cause I offer to shake your hand or I call you "Joe"... cause if that guy is reading this, he's a *****. As for jhatpro, I totally and completley disagree but don't mean it personally... Thanks for the link to the solo online, I got on learning that imidiatly after I saw the post!

Ohh by the way you can call me what ever for of charles you want it's cool with me, always has been.

Chuck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, man, am i sorry i ever brought this up. reminds me of what a a wise old master sergeant told me once: "son," he said, "sometimes it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak up and prove it."

[ This Message was edited by: jhatpro on 2002-07-26 20:07 ]

[ This Message was edited by: jhatpro on 2002-07-26 20:09 ]
mark936
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah come on, Chet I mean Jhat.

Stick to your guns, don't jump horses in the middle of the stream.

Say what you mean, mean what you say.

I concur, 100%.

mm
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, here it is, plain as i can make it:

1) about five miller geniune drafts ago, i noticed frank (tryingtolivethelife) referred to clifford brown as "cliff." i'd never heard there before and it just occurred to me that maybe that, to some people, shortening brown's name might seem a little presumptious or even disrespectful. no big deal. i should have dropped frank a private email. i really didn't want to embarrass him.

2) the further i got into it the more i realized that there are a lot of black musicians, athletes, all kinds of people, who go by names like herbie (hancock) and ricky (williams) and apparently don't find it disrespectful when they're called by those diminuitives.

3) in my next chorus, i decided it's probably not a racial thing at all. jimmy carter apparently liked to have people call him jimmy. but my name is jim and i hate it when people call me jimmy.

4) anyway, as i mentioned at some point, i do think the only rule on names should be try to call people what they want to be called. clifford brown apparently liked "brownie" so maybe he would have liked "cliff" as well. sadly, we'll never know.

5) so now, i'm going back to trumpetology and leaving sociology to whoever wants to take up the burden.

[ This Message was edited by: jhatpro on 2002-07-26 21:39 ]
tryingtolivethelife
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The names Charles... not frank. And believe me I felt no embarassment. Don't worry, I was just really pissed off. And as for sociology, I am speaking from common sense man, no phyco background... you can feel free to address me in public anytime. And in return I will feel free to message you on the board here so generously provided by Trumpetherald. Anyways, I went a little overboard earlier, I meant everything I said. But it probablly should have came out witha little more ... umm tack. Miller Genuine Draft ehh... I'll stick to my vodka shots... does the trick and goes down fast, generally to stay down,
Cheers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. don't know where i got the idea your name was frank. play well. jim.
p.s. some of the best clifford brown solos have been transribed by ken slone. he sells them on ebay from time to time. they're also available from warner bros. publications in a 2-vol. set called "28 modern jazz trumpet solos." they're part of a collection of jazz improvisation books from cpp/belwin. here's the website:

http://www.warnerbrospub.com/store/product.list.asp?upcval=&category1=2&type=WBPSEARCH&CATEGORY2=Arranger&keyword=slone&x=20&y=9

[ This Message was edited by: jhatpro on 2002-07-27 07:58 ]
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's another source for a huge amount of jazz material, including transcribed solos:

http://www.playjazz.com/trumpet.htm

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: