• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I'm a temporary Bum!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 1:55 am    Post subject: I'm a temporary Bum! Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

Thought I'd mention that after a three year run, Disney's "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" closed here in Berlin on June 30th.

Of all shows, "Cats" is coming to our theater, opening on October 20th. Given the fact that I played 1st trumpet on it in Hamburg for several years, I think I stand a reasonable chance of getting the job (but now I'll probably have to play 2nd on it since I was contracted for 1st/2nd trumpet on "Hunchback" while my colleague Christian had a 1st trumpet-only contract on Hunchback from day one of the show (I moved from Hamburg "Cats" to "Hunchback" in the 2nd year of "Hunchback") right before Hamburg "Cats" closed so I don't have "seniority" at the Berlin Theater. It will be a bit hard for me to sit there and hear somebody else playing the part I love, but oh well, at least I'll have new notes to play!

"Cats" is probably only going to run for a few months as a "fill-in", and then they are going to put something else in for a multi-year run. Possibly "The Producers" (!) That one will be interesting in Germany!

I'm still keeping fairly busy - playing a Musical in Hamburg called "The Voice" (it's about Frank Sinatra) with all the typical Frankie songs, and I did "Evita" a few weeks ago while it toured through Berlin.

Now's the time for me to make use of the off-time and
PRACTICE!!!

All for now,

John Mohan

Last edited by John Mohan on Thu May 26, 2011 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck to you in landing a part in the "Cats" pit. I hope that all goes well and you remain gainfully employed as a trumpeter. What I would give to be in your shoes! But, alas, I'm afraid that my mediocre skills with the horn keep me working behind a desk for my day job and hacking my way through rock band gigs on the weekends.

Again, good luck to you.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Blue Devil
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John -

Has there been any mention by the Disney people of bringing Hunchback to the states? As far as I know, there hasn't been any mention here at all about that show coming to the U.S. - I hope it does, it sounds like it's a really good show.

I know you had mentioned in an earlier post that you were thinking of coming into the Chicago area this summer and possibly could organize a masterclass or two. Now that you have a little bit of time on your hands, have you given that any more thought?

Mike Trzesniak
Hillbilly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea John,
If hunchback came to the states you could get a job in the U.S. You would be a lock for the first trumpet part because you're so familiar with it. I'm sure alot of us would like to hear that great upper register you are so well known for on the west coast.
cgooding
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with the German production of Hunchback, but I don know that the London version has not fared well. They have been able to remain open because they have good backing, and in London theaters, as long as you can pay the rent, you can keep the theater. So with the mediocre success of Huchback in London, I wouldn't look for it here in the US any time in the near future.
Hillbilly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot, if he couldn't get some kind of a job like that he could always work at Disney....he probably knows all the songs.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-12 12:52, Blue Devil wrote:
John -

Has there been any mention by the Disney people of bringing Hunchback to the states? As far as I know, there hasn't been any mention here at all about that show coming to the U.S. - I hope it does, it sounds like it's a really good show.

I know you had mentioned in an earlier post that you were thinking of coming into the Chicago area this summer and possibly could organize a masterclass or two. Now that you have a little bit of time on your hands, have you given that any more thought?

Mike Trzesniak

Hi there Mike,

No plans at the moment to my knowledge of "Hunchback" opening soon in the States, though I'm sure it will eventually.

As for the Clinics and Crash Courses, I'm kind of stuck waiting for the announcement of the "Cats" auditions here. I don't want to make plans and then find out I can't come in because of the auditions. When I know more, I'll let you know.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there “CGooding”,

I didn’t even know “Hunchback” was in London! Disney’s “Hunchback? Really?

There are no plans at this time that I know of to bring Hunchback to the States. But what do I know? I didn’t even know it was running in London! They had planned to put it on Broadway about a year ago, but those plans got postponed. Broadway didn’t do so well after last September 11th, but I understand things are getting better now.

Hi there “hillbilly”,

Aw shucks, you’re mocking me aren’t you? Hunchback only goes up to an E – it ain’t that high. I did throw an F in at the end of Act One when I played 1st. You must be confused anyway – it’s the Tasteebros. that have the west coast locked up with their stratospheric playing.

And yea, I know way more Disney songs than anyone should ever have to. We all do…

All for now,

John Mohan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: